Icing In Advance - How Far???

Decorating By popey9 Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 12:38am by tonedna

popey9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
popey9 Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 9:57am
post #1 of 6

Hi,

So I am wondering if you bake a cake and then fully cover it in either ganash / buttercream so that it is sealed and then decorate with fondant bits - how far in advance can you complete the cake before it is needed?
I just like to be organised and the earlier I can do it the better it would be for me.

Thank you in advance - I love this site!!!!

5 replies
cakesbywendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbywendy Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 6

Using the crusting BC recipe, I make a cake the day before I need it.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 6

A lot depends on how much detail work I need to do on the cake. I usually bake on Sunday or Monday. Make my icing and filling on Wednesday and start construction on Thursday.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 6

agree with zdeb, it depends on how much work you have to do on it and how fast you are.

I had 5 tiers of cake that took me a hour and 57 minutes from freezer to finished product, crumb'd, iced, and decorated. Had a 5 tier square that took me 3 hours from freezer to finish. Now, it took me 30 years to get to this kind of speed. No way I could have done it this amount of time when I was first starting out. So today, I'm able to pretty much pull my cakes out of the freezer and do them the day before delivery.

But my City Skyline cake, with the buildings/skyline cut from chocolate with an exacto knife .... 7 tiers .... took me between 6 and 8 hours on my first one.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 12:20am
post #5 of 6

Unfortunately I've found if I have 12 hrs. to do it it will take 11 1/2 hrs. to do, if I have to do it in 4 hrs that works to. LOL

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 12:38am
post #6 of 6

I do them the day before too. But if it's crusting buttercream the hold well for more. Just be careful on the fillings.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%