3-D Cake Help!!!!!

Decorating By flutterbytd Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 4:14am by flutterbytd

flutterbytd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flutterbytd Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 13

Hey everyone, I have 4 cakes to make in the next week, and they all want 3-D cakes. One is a DirtBike, one is a ELK, one is a Green M&M Standing and the oother is a castle cake. I have done a couple 3-d cakes but I need to know what kind of cake is best for carving and all the help I can get with the dirtbike cake. PLEASE Help!!
flutterbytd

12 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 13

Welcome to CC.

flutterbytd Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you, I am going to need alot of input on this.

loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 13

id use a madeira or wasc cake for carving. interested to see what people can say bowt the dirt bike.

good luck flutterbytd

icon_wink.gif

flutterbytd Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 13

loopilu,
thank you!!! Can I use different flavors in this cake?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 13

I'm on my phone or I would post the link. But if you go to the cake ideas forum and go to the topic Gourmet Flavors I think MacsMom and Bobwonderbuns have the link to the Google doc in their signature. You'll find Tons of WASC variations

flutterbytd Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 13

thank you dandelion56602, I really need all the help and advice I can get. I found the recipe right where you said. Thank You!!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 12:40am
post #8 of 13

I make a lot of 3D cakes and find for chocolate, the Easy chocolate pound cake (they also have a vanilla version, but I haven't tried it) and Hershey's collector's choc cake hold up best. They are both in recipes. The original WASC also holds up well and tastes great too. It's my personal fave....
The Amazing Choc WASC is AMAZING, but not as good for carving. My best advice for 3D cakes is to tort once it's cool, freeze, carve frozen or semi-frozen, then fill. Also, make sure you use dowels and cake boards when stacking, even if the 2nd cake seems smaller - it can still cave! I think I would carve out of 2 loaf pans for the dirt bike (if it's more of a quad). I've made a lot of wheels and I think that using fondant and tylose/gumpaste is the best way to go. And I have covered everything from oreo cookie cakes to Wilton choc melts in fondant to make wheels. The standing M&M would probably have to be done with a combo of cake, RKT and gumpaste. Maybe do a separate post for that. I'm not really sure, but it would be fun and challening! For the castle, I THINK Wilton has a 3D pan. Make your life easy and rent it! Otherwise, stacking square cakes and carving would work well....Oh and use ice cream cones turned upside down for the turrets. Have fun! icon_smile.gif

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 2:20am
post #9 of 13

Does the elk need to be the whole animal or just the head/bust? There are lots of pics of deer heads in the gallery that could be easily modified to be an elk. I've done a lot of 3D stuff, but I'm afraid I've never done (and dread the day the order comes for) a bike of any kind. Looking forward to seeing what advise you get on that! Make sure you post pics when you're done!

flutterbytd Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 2:34am
post #10 of 13

Thank you all for all your help, I have started the motorcycle, and elk, with help from all of you. I will post pics when they are done.

flutterbytd Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 2:40am
post #11 of 13

Thank you all for all your help, I have started the motorcycle, and elk, with help from all of you. I will post pics when they are done.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:26am
post #12 of 13

Welcome!! I first started posting to the boards when I was desperate for help with my very first 3-D icon_smile.gif Can't wait to see what you come up with, I don't have technical advice for most, but I have done a few 3-D Castle Cakes, a little differently than the norm (Don't know if you've seen "Knocked Up" but they were based on the castle cake at the little girls birthday party icon_cool.gif ) . They are both in my pics, if you think that's the way you want to go just let me know and I'd be happy to tell you what I did, there are lots of variations you could go with. Good luck to you! Andrea

flutterbytd Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:14am
post #13 of 13

Well everyone, i did the cakes. all but the castle. it is next week. THANK YOU ALL for your GREAT tips and advice. I posted my pics. Again thank you all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%