Carrot Cake Pricing

Decorating By chocomama Updated 20 Jun 2015 , 4:42pm by bxsweettouch

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 18

I have one customer who pops up now and then requesting my carrot cake, which she loves, but to make it worth my time I have increased my pricing for it. The cake and icing is all scratch and is a royal pain in the butt (to me - even though I usually get my husband to shred the carrots, HAHA) and she just commented about my price, but, in the past, I have always felt that I have way underpriced myself and walked away from the experience with a bitter taste. My pricing is like this: 1/4 sheet w/one of my regular flavors, like chocolate, (with BC and minimal decorations) starts at $35. For the carrot cake, which will be decorated with crusting cream cheese icing and whatever else I may need, I have priced at $50. Does that seem way out of line? In my area, it doesn't seem that crazy to me.

17 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 18

I charge 45.00 for the carrot cake and the same price for the 1/4 regular sheet cake. The only reason I charge the extra is due to the carrots and cream cheese, which as you know you pay a dear price for cream cheese if you have to buy it retail. May I suggest using a food processor to do your carrots, much faster thumbs_up.gif . So, I don't think you are out of line.
evelyn

chocomama Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 18

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocomama

and she just commented about my price

What did she say?

You're definitely not over priced.

chocomama Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:

and she just commented about my price

What did she say?

You're definitely not over priced.

Something like, "Wow, I didn't realize your prices had increased so much!"

I think I've only ever made carrot cakes for her and she's tried to order from me several times in the past 6 months, but she always waits till the last minute to order and I end up being booked already. This time, she asked me over about a month in advance and I told her which weekends I was free and she actually scheduled her baby shower around that b/c she wanted the cake so much! I'm very flattered, but I'm not going to go back to my old pricing (and I don't even remember what I charged her, truthfully) b/c I knew I was undercharging before and I also know (now) that people in this area are willing to pay for what they want. If she doesn't want to pay it, that's OK. I'm willing to risk it. I hope that didn't sound snotty! LOL!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 18

I just did my first carrot cake from scratch for a wedding cake. I bought a food processor with the shredding attachment to do the carrots--LOVED it!!

chocomama Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 18

I just remembered that a friend gave us a food processor she wasn't using! Hubby will be so happy! LOL!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 18

I'm all for shortcuts when they don't affect the quality! icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 1:03am
post #9 of 18

I'd charge more than you do, for a quarter sheet with two layers, undecorated, 48 servings, I'd charge at least $3 a serving, so that brings us to $144 to start. I go by 1"x2" servings regardless of whether it's wedding or party.

I'd say that the carrot cake buyer has been getting a steal and she knows it. If she makes any more comments tell her that you checked it out and quote my price to shut her up! icon_lol.gif

chocomama Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 2:59am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I'd charge more than you do, for a quarter sheet with two layers, undecorated, 48 servings, I'd charge at least $3 a serving, so that brings us to $144 to start. I go by 1"x2" servings regardless of whether it's wedding or party.

I'd say that the carrot cake buyer has been getting a steal and she knows it. If she makes any more comments tell her that you checked it out and quote my price to shut her up! icon_lol.gif

LOL! Love it! Thanks!

Btw, what size is your 1/4 sheet cake? It seems everyone uses different pans.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:50am
post #11 of 18

Is that for a 4" tall 1/4 sheet? If so you're WAYYYYY underpricing. Even if it's not, it's a great deal. Carrot cakes are pricey to make.

I could really go for a piece of carrot cake right now.

costumeczar Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:11pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

LOL! Love it! Thanks!

Btw, what size is your 1/4 sheet cake? It seems everyone uses different pans.

Standard sizes for pans are 9x13 quarter sheet, 12x18 half sheet, 18x24 full sheet. People use the terms wrong, though, so make sure that if someone's ordering a half sheet they know it's that size. Some of the grocery and discount stores offer a "half sheet" but it's only 9x13, so people get confused.

It's probably best to ask them how many servings they need then go from there.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 9:54pm
post #13 of 18

Carrot cake is one of my favorite cake yes it is a PIA but so worth it. Food processor for the carrots, I also use pecans and walnuts, yellow and black raisins, so mine are pretty pricey to make. You will always have some clients that love C/cake, be sure to let them know this a special order item. Usually I do more around the holidays Christmas and Easter, I'll call my usual customers to see if they would like to place their order before I'm booked up. Works like a charm. That way you can make enough to make it worth your while. Carrot cake freezes really well also. When I batch bake these I shred my carrots and store them in gallon jugs with water to keep them from browning. just drain well before use HTH

chocomama Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 4:16am
post #14 of 18

Thanks for all of the tips! Yes, this is a 4 inch cake - I'll definitely be charging more from now on!

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 4:40am
post #15 of 18

I am just a hobby baker/decorator so I cannot charge for cakes but i did request that cost of materials be covered- just did a santa clause cake that was four layers of 12x12 , and had cream chesse buttercream and all from scratch- plus fondarific fondant, detailed figurines, tons of hand painting ect ect.... i got a lil over 40.00 from her total... but after it was all said and done i know for a fact that it was more than that just in luster dust , fondant and chocolate- and yes, carrot cake is a HUGE pain .... all those carrots, and nuts and..cream cheese.... 15 eggs,,, and 4 lbs of butter.. and... welll you know... I have no idea what you should charge- but I know that I personally feeling the sting of being unlicenced and therefore uncompensated... ( especially for my time- 33hrs is what this last cake took!) I can totally understand now how a bakery can charge what they charge because I am in the boat now of knowing how much time and expence goes into a cake- I would definately say that you should be charging more!

costumeczar Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:38pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD

I know that I personally feeling the sting of being unlicenced and therefore uncompensated... ( especially for my time- 33hrs is what this last cake took!) I can totally understand now how a bakery can charge what they charge because I am in the boat now of knowing how much time and expence goes into a cake- I would definately say that you should be charging more!

Ha ha, another person converted! I think it's funny how people complain about prices, but then when you see what actually goes into it, it suddenly makes sense.

I love your avatar, too.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #17 of 18

Chocomama- I sell my 1/4 sheet (one layer, no filling) for $35. The carrot cake would have been $50 (one layer, no filling). You're giving her a heck of a deal!

BarbieAnn- love the avatar! I actually made Mr. Domo into cakeform for one of hubby's ex-coworkers (check it out in my gallery!). icon_smile.gif I was laughing the whole time I was making him.

bxsweettouch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bxsweettouch Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 4:42pm
post #18 of 18

it takes about 30 bucks just for me to get the ingredients cream cheese is about $4.50 here in ny, for a 9x13 feeds about 30 plus people all depends who is cutting it and how big they cut the slices. i charge about  $140 for a 9x13.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%