Update On Quilting Pattern: Help

Decorating By Ashley0415 Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 3:03am by JenniferMI

Ashley0415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley0415 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:13am
post #1 of 14

Ok, I made the fondant, wrapped the cake, pressed the diamond pattern in. .Which by the way, the rolling from left to right was THE most helpful tip.. and then i messed up.. i didnt have a quilting tool to run over the lines and i used a ravioli stile cutter,, and it looks so rough.. because theres a straight line and then a squiggly line through it.. how do i fix this? can i pull the fondant off and try again?? if so what tool should i use?

13 replies
Ashley0415 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:21am
post #2 of 14

ALSO... it came out flat icon_sad.gif as in not bubbly and pillow-y looking.. how do I fix that?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:34am
post #3 of 14

You can take the fondant off your cake BUT i wouldn't reuse it as it will have *bits* of cake and whatever you crumbcoated the cake with all over it icon_sad.gif

Perhaps the reason it probably looks flat is because your fondant wasn't thick enough to start with.
For a really deep impression of the diamond patten have your fondant 1/8 - 1/4 thick - that way you get a really deep impression that looks as tho the cake is padded when finished.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Ashley0415 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:39am
post #4 of 14

I have a 2nd fresh batch in the fridge. LOL.. although at this point Im exhausted enough, I might have tried to re roll that fondant.. I just wanted to be sure it wouldnt mess up my cake if I tried to take it off..

How can I create that quilt look WITHOUT that little tool though? I do have the diamond cutter, but not the tool that creates the little dots on the pattern.. any substitute? Can i just NOT use one and use the diamond cutter alone?

Also, thanks for the tip on the thickness.. I never thought of that! makes perfect sense icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley0415

I have a 2nd fresh batch in the fridge. LOL.. although at this point Im exhausted enough, I might have tried to re roll that fondant.. I just wanted to be sure it wouldnt mess up my cake if I tried to take it off..
Best way to take it off is to get a sharp knife and starting at the tiop of the cake slice through the fondant down to the bottom - then gently start to peel back one edge - working slowly you should be able to peel it off in one long roll -
OR you might find it eaasier to make a few slices and gently take it off in sections.
LOL - I had to do this when someone dented a cake of mine - and altho only a minor dent - i knew it wa there - icon_sad.gif

How can I create that quilt look WITHOUT that little tool though? I do have the diamond cutter, but not the tool that creates the little dots on the pattern.. any substitute?
You could painstakingly go over every line with the end of a skewer and poke little dots in it. Can i just NOT use one and use the diamond cutter alone?
Yes, indeed - i have a few photos in my photo section of quilted cakes - and i more often than not just do the padded look without the dots - i like to stud the corners of each little quilt with caschous.
Perhaps you could do that - if you like the look/effect.

Welcome to CC by the way - i see you a Newbie and enjoy all there is to see and read here.

Also, thanks for the tip on the thickness.. I never thought of that! makes perfect sense icon_smile.gif

Your welcome - just gives you that *padded* look that you are aftre.

Bluehue

BakedEis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedEis Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:53am
post #6 of 14

We just made a quilted look this past weekend and just used a diamond cutter. In the points we placed dragees. (don't know if I spelled that right, basically the edible BBs. icon_lol.gif ) I purchased a "quilting" sheet from a specialty store but the dimonds were bigger than the cake. Didn't think that one through enough I guess. LOL!

I think you can click on my username and see the pictures, but do keep in mind this is only my fourth cake so it was certainly not perfect, but I think in the end it looked nice.

Good luck!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:55am
post #7 of 14

I have one question...why are you keeping your fondant in the refrigerator? I keep mine at room temperature and never put it in the refrigerator...especially after covering a cake. Would you please tell me the reasoning...I would love to learn something new.

Ashley0415 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:59am
post #8 of 14

oh really!?! Maybe i just learned something new.. I always put my fondant in the fridge after I make it.. should I not??

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:57am
post #9 of 14

If nothing else you could wash a credit card and use the edge to go over your lines to get them indented. HTH

Ashley0415 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:53am
post #10 of 14

another good idea! thank you!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:45am
post #11 of 14

No need to put fondant in fridge, unless your gonna go ahead and freeze it for later use Waaaayyy down the road. If you put it in the fridge, your gonna have to let it come to room temp. for easy use. If it's all ready it out, it's good to go. Unless, it's rock hard, the nuke a few secs.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:36am
post #12 of 14

Ashley, fondant usually sweats (at least mine did the two times I put it in the walk-in fridge) when it is in the refrigerator. We had a discussion on this on one of the forums and it appeared that most of us felt you should never put it in the fridge. I will see if I can find that discussion for you to make your own decision about it.

Well, I have searched the forums for a couple of hours and cannot find it... maybe someone else can help!

Ashley0415 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:50pm
post #13 of 14

You guys are so helpful! I went home, pulled off the fondant, re-did it, and just stamped it with the diamond cutter and didnt quilt it.. didnt have the tool... it turned out soooooo much for all the tips.. i'll post pics icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:03am
post #14 of 14

HI Ashley -

You really should just get a stitch wheel. The look is soooo pretty with that. PM me and we'll talk.

I repectfully disagree with the fondant thickness thing.... I always put a THIN layer of fondant on my normal layer of buttercream. In my opinion, the stitch wheel is the piece of equipment that really make the quilting puff out like a jacket. Using the larger toothed stitch wheel make sit really puff out. I think it's a combination of the "give" of the icing and the stitch wheel. It just looks flat to me before I use the wheel on it.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%