Will The Fondant Color Bleed Into The Piping Gel?

Decorating By carolynM Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 6:00pm by cakesrock

carolynM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolynM Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 7

If I put a red fondant-covered boat on top of a tinted piping gel (simulating water), do you think the red will bleed into the gel? I use Americolor colors. It will have be be put together about 24 hours before it is displayed. Any ideas? Would tinted buttercream for the water be better or worse?

6 replies
UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 7

my initial guess is that yes the red will bleed into the piping gel, but i've never done it so i don't know 100%. i think buttercream would be a better option b/c i have put red fondant pieces on top of white buttercream and haven't had a bleed.

side note: i recently did a ship on water and for my water that was "crashing" into the boat, i put a mixture of white and blue buttercream in my piping bag, and loved the affect...looked like the crest on real waves. i think it's in my pics.

good luck!!!

carolynM Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 7

Hmmm. I have some edible lacquer. I might just coat the bottom of the boat with that just in case.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 7

I highly doubt that the red will bleed into the piping gel. I use piping gel and colored fondants often and have never had any color bleed - red or otherwise. Piping gel "sets" a bit which, I think, gives it a little stiffness thereby preventing the bleed.

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 7

I agree with Win. I haven't had any problems with my fondant colors bleeding into anything.

carolynM Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 7

That's great to know. One less thing to dwell on at 4 am. icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 7

Nor have I ever had a problem with that sort of bleeding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%