Where To Get White Marshmallows In Nz??

Decorating By kiwigal81 Updated 20 Jan 2013 , 4:36am by Takefive

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all you kiwis out there! I'm just getting started (yay!)...twas a childhood love that time and life killed. I've got most supplies, but white marshmallows! Does anyone know where to get them? Or what brand you can get them in? We seem to only have the white and pink mix, which means I will need to buy twice as many and sort them out to make white MMF, in the regular, budget and cooking brands.
Love some advice if you knowicon_smile.gif

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:46am
post #2 of 9

Here a thread that identifies Pascall's and the Chocolate Box as sellers of white marshmallows in AU:

HTH

Edited to add marshmallow recipes.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:07am
post #3 of 9

not from there but if you're unable to find them...they're incredibly easy to make!

rockshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockshell Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:18am
post #4 of 9

I just get mine from the bulk bins and just pick out the white ones to put in my bag.

kiwigal81 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:02am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the ideasicon_smile.gif
I do make them, but hadn't thought of making them for this...duh meicon_smile.gif
And Yah! The bulk bins! Ours has been taken out, might need to raid pack and save.

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:00am
post #6 of 9

How do you make white marshmallows??

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 11:27am
post #7 of 9

If you have a bulk food warehouse there, they should have some. They sell them to cafe's for making hot chocolate. I get 1 kg bags of white ones here.

kiwigal81 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:55am
post #8 of 9

For some reason getting hold of things from wholesalers here is really tough! We don't have bulk wharehouses. I think there are so few people, relatively speaking, that they want to make sure no one is getting a cheap deal lol.

My fave marshmallow recipe, from a weightwatchers book:

soak 1/3c gelatin in 1c cold water, stir to mix. Mix together 4 c sugar, 2 c hot water in a pan, stir over low heat without boiling till sugar is dissolved. Stir in the gelatine mix till somooth. Bring to boil, boil uncovered 10 mins. Cool till warm. Put in a big bowl, add 2ts vanilla essence and 2ts lemon juice, or if wished sub orange juice or rosewater (in which case maybe leave out vanilla?) and using electric beaters (oh, believe me, use electric. I tried to do it by hand as a teenager with no kitchen equipment in the flat and it made a tooth chippingly hard mound, it was like concrete), beat till doubled in size and firm peaks form about 5 mins. Rinse a glass baking dish in water, spoon mixture in, fridge 1 or 2 hours till firm. Turn out onto coconut, cut, roll in coconut, or icing sugar if you aren't serving it on it's own.

I like this because it's really easy, and used ingredients I had to hand. Makes a massive bowl, great for hungry birthdays.

Takefive Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Takefive Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 4:36am
post #9 of 9

If you live near a Warehouse store you can purchase bags of white marshmallows there, also online if you don't mind paying the postage. Here's the link:

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Rocky-Mountain-MEGA-White-Marshmallows-790g?SKU=1600522

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%