Ny Home Bakery Question--

Decorating By CakeDiane Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 7:49pm by powderpink

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know if it is allowable to DECORATE cakes at home if the cake itself is BAKED in a commercial kitchen? I remember a thread from a few years ago that is no longer there (because of the big CC crash) about Margaret Braun...if I remember correctly, she has all her cakes baked somewhere else and delivered; she decorates them at home--I THINK she was based in Manhattan. Does anyone remember this or know anything about it?

I'm about to give up my quest to get into this business because NY just makes it too hard--there are no rental commercial kitchens around my area and I can only get a home bakery license if I was going to sell wholesale to restaurants etc. But if I could bake my cakes somewhere else (or have them baked) and decorate them from home, I think I might be able to make that work.

Any advice??

4 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 5

Have you thought of contacting Margaret herself and asking her?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 5

You could also contact your local health department. Sometimes it will vary by county.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 5

That would explain the show she was on where they showed her decorating cakes in her NY apartment. They didn't show her baking anything, but they did show her decorating and she talked about keeping her apartment at a certain temperature so the cakes wouldn't get too warm. I think it was one of those Wedding Cake Masters shows on either WE or the Style channel or something. It's a couple years old, if I remember right.

I'd be interested to know what you find out and if you can do the decorating if you have a licensed bakery do the baking - - that's certainly one option if it's available.

powderpink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
powderpink Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 5

call her
[email protected] or 212.929.1582

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%