So When I Rent Kitchen Space...

Business By chilz822 Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 3:43pm by lilthorner

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:10am
post #1 of 8

... and have all my insurance and legalities in order...
Can I just go, or do I have to notify Helth Dept etc, that I'm ready to go and will be operating out of so-and-so kitchen?

This is likely going to be the only way for me to go in the beginning and I have the space lined up (finally!). Am starting the paperwork process but am unsure what the step is once all the ducks are in a row...?

7 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:22am
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

... and have all my insurance and legalities in order...
Can I just go, or do I have to notify Helth Dept etc, that I'm ready to go and will be operating out of so-and-so kitchen?

This is likely going to be the only way for me to go in the beginning and I have the space lined up (finally!). Am starting the paperwork process but am unsure what the step is once all the ducks are in a row...?

Yes, you have to contact the HD, and most likely the Dept. of AG. HD will give you your inspections, AG will give you the license.

Mike

chilz822 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you
icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 8

Mike it depends on the state...I don't know who the governing entity is in FL, but here in Texas you deal with either your city, county, or state HD depending on where you live. AG is not involved at all. The county I live in the State HD controls food establishments and manufacturers.

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:02am
post #5 of 8

Question though, if the space that she is renting is fully licensed, inspected, etc, then doesn't she just fall under the umbrella of their licenses? It seems to me she would just need to reference the location in her paperwork, no?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 8

No.. she will need her own license unless the business she is renting from is hiring her as an employee. Then she would fall under their insurance umbrella. If she is going in as a separate entity... just using their kitchen space to produce her own products that have no affiliation with the business she is renting the space from... she will need her own license from the HD and insurance as well. icon_smile.gif

I would assume theyalready know this, but make sure that the owner of the kitchen knows that you will be getting their kitchen inspected. Not that they aren't clean and such, but they might want to prepare a little. I know I would. icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 8

Good info, thank you all so much. As soon as I get the ok from the restaurant owner, I'll fill you all in!

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 8

yup, better check with ur county offices.. in the county where I live, I have to pay for a health certificate. they dont come inspect the facility, they just ask for a copy of the facilities current certificate, even if it's in a diff county. the county where the kitchen is, just asks for a form filled out by the owner of the kitchen and I didn't have to pay anything extra.. that county licences the location.. the other countly licences the business.. and this is the health or environmental licences, not the biz license

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%