Satellite Cake Stands

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 1 Jan 2010 , 12:26am by bettinashoe

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:26am
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to do a cake kind that has hidden elevated pillars for 3 satellite cakes. They will be hidden under fabric. I have attached a picture of kind of what the bride is looking for. I have no idea what kinds of pedestals to use underneath the fabric. I guess I could use anything, but I want them to be sturdy even though they won't be visible. Any ideas on what I could use as the pedestals? I keep thiking candle holders but I don't think they'll be sturdy enough for a heavy cake and don't want them falling when they cut the cakes.
LL

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:34am
post #2 of 8

..moving to Ideas forum. icon_smile.gif

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:50am
post #3 of 8

IDK when the cake is for but if you have time to order something on line here is a site that has something that might be useful.

http://www.all-about-wedding-cakes.com/weddingcakestands.html

THe stand that I was thinking about is just about at the bottom of the page. The other thing that you can do is use separator plates with the columns with the shortest columns on the first one and gradually longer ones for the ones in the middle and the last cake. Hoep you understand what I mean.

You know that it will be sturdy enough because that is what they do hold cakes so you should be just fine using these.

Hope it helps

Vic

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you! I didn't even think to use pillars and plates. Now seeing the picture on the website you posted with the plate on teh bottom that holds the pillars in place makes much more sense to me. I will definitely check it out. I don't have time to order anything, but I think my local cake decorating shop may have enough of the supplies I need to make this work. Thanks again!

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 8

No problem. Post pics when doneicon_smile.gif

Vic

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 8

Honestly, I frequently used canned vegetables. If I'm at a club or restaurant, I just go into the kitchen and ask to borrow cans of whatever they're not going to cook that night.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 8

That cake is probably sitting on a one-use styrofoam (disposable) cake stand like this one:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=1179 (if it doesn't go to the cake stand page, enter product number "37-6501" in the search field)

Just add the cost of the stand, plus shipping, plus admin fee to the cost of the cake and tell the bride "You dont' have to return anything". OR .... give the bride this info and tell her to order the stand herself.

The reason I think it's this stand is because they are almost always covered in some kind of fabric because if you use them plain or 'as is', it's just so darn ugly and cheap looking.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 12:26am
post #8 of 8

I really like that cake stand, indydebi. Thanks for the link.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%