Steamer On Cakes

Decorating By majormichel Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 1:33pm by kellyanne1981

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:46am
post #1 of 13

I was watching Cake Boss the other night and notice he used a steamer on his fondant cakes. What does the steamer do to the fondant? I am curious. Do any of you use one.

12 replies
rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:54am
post #2 of 13

The steam gets rid of the powdered sugar that might be left over on the cake, and it gives it a nice sheen. It finishes it off and gives it a more realistic look. I use a steamer on my cakes all the time.

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:04am
post #3 of 13

it give the cake a glossy/shiny look.
I don't have one but am planning on getting one at some point in time

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:19am
post #4 of 13

rvercher23 what type of steamer have you got? I have tried here to get a hand held one but they don't seem to have them. The ones I have seen are overseas. Have tried my iron and have had mixed results.

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:36am
post #5 of 13

I have a small garment steamer from Wal-mart that works fine. You can find larger ones at dept stores in the home section.

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks for the info.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:06am
post #7 of 13

I know that you're in NZ, but if the shipping isn't too awful from AU, I found this on Ebay. It's nearly identical to the one I use and I love it.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HANDHELD-CLOTHES-STEAMER-RRP-99-WAS-45_W0QQitemZ260497940327QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Housekeeping?hash=item3ca6e31f67

HTH
Rae

Briarview Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:28am
post #8 of 13

Thanks Blakes cakes. You use it for steaming flowers?

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:40am
post #9 of 13

I use it to remove the "chalkiness" look on cakes and flowers.

BlakesCakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:46am
post #10 of 13

Yes, I steam my gum paste flowers with it. The steaming helps to set and blend the dusted on colors.

You can steam other gum paste or fondant things with it, too, but the shine it leaves is transient.

I roll out my fondant (Ready to roll icing) on a smear of white vegetable fat (in the US, Crisco) on a piece of clear vinyl.
Because I don't use corn flour or icing sugar for rolling out, I don't have the issue of having to use the steamer to get rid of powdery residue.

HTH
Rae

Briarview Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:54am
post #11 of 13

Thanks for that. I do have a hand held steamer for windows but there is too much water residue that comes out when I press the button and end up with water spots on flowers etc. I use spay oil when I roll out my fondant and then it doesn't dry out like when you use potato flour/ corn flour. And also I don't have the powder residue. I think the steamer would be good for flowers that are not wired. Will look into the Ebay one. Thank you all.

BlakesCakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:08am
post #12 of 13

Yes, the clothing steams produce finer steam than the house cleaning steamers.

It will work very well on wired flowers, too. I use it all of the time for those.

Rae

kellyanne1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyanne1981 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:33pm
post #13 of 13

i have used my iron to steam my cakes i sent out this weekend....omg why didnt i do this b4!!! it was amazing!!!! cant believe the effect and professional finish it creates!!! God Send!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%