Fondant Buildings For A Cake. . .

Decorating By Krazylion Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 12:40am by JanH

Krazylion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krazylion Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Fellow Cakesters,

I am making a batman cake for my nephew and he wants it to look like the cityscape on a 2 tier cake, I was thinking of using fondant to make the buildings, any advise? is there a better alternative? also How do I get the fondant to stand without falling over? I have not worked with fondant yet. . . and lastly, I need to make black, purple and grey fondant, can I achieve black with white fondant or do I have to start with another color?

8 replies
Krazylion Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 9

No One has any advise?. . . Please help!!!

autigger57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autigger57 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 9

If you are going to make MMF and want to acheive black, put your black gel color in the liquid mixture before adding powdered sugar......

As far as the buildings standing up, it should work as long as you let them harden for 24- 48 hours.

Krazylion Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 9

cool thanks!!,
Now if I want to shape the buildings around the cake pan do I have to cover the cake pan with anything ie platic wrap, shortening etc?

autigger57 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 9

Trying to get them to conform to the shape of the tier???? MMF never gets rock hard so you should still be able to mold them to the curveture of the cake once you let them set a bit. Of course it depends on how big your buildings are as well.

Here is kind of an example where I cut each piece and molded it to the shape of the cake even after letting the MMF sit for 2 days...
LL

laura4795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura4795 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 9

So those "boards" are MMF? Very nice! Any hints for how to create that? Are they set around a round cake?

autigger57 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 9

Yes the boards are MMF. I just cut strips of fondant a little higher than my cake, then i took my shell tool and scraped the fondant, adding knots and such.. I then diluted brown gel paste and brushed it on til I got the desired color.

Yes the strips are placed around a 10" 2 layer cake.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 9

Here are some "cityscape" cakes from the CC galleries to inspire you:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=cityscape&album=-&search_user=

HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:40am
post #9 of 9

Almost duplicate post, please also see:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-663516.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%