Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes

Decorating By alliebear Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 12:08am by newmansmom2004

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 5:32am
post #1 of 12

ok so i know some or most of you have this book. i just got it for christmas and i am thrilled.. i love the beautiful pictures and photography but my question is.. how good are her recipes? if any of you have tried them i would love to hear your reviews before i try them out.. thanks in advance.

11 replies
AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 7:03am
post #2 of 12

I haven't tried any of the recipes. I mainly just sit and gaze at the pictures. They are soooo gorgeous!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 12

I am not fond of the recipes, but I do love the pics. (and there are no detailed instructions for how to do them) I just got Kerry Vincents Romantic Wedding Cakes as a gift, and that is one thing I LOVE about her book - the detailed instructions!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 12

I, too, have this book and have tried the red velvet recipe and the coconut cake recipe. They were both really delicious and I've recommended both of them to friends who were looking for good cake recipes.

newmansmom2004 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I just got Kerry Vincents Romantic Wedding Cakes as a gift, and that is one thing I LOVE about her book - the detailed instructions!

Is that a new book by Kerry? I don't think I've seen it.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 12

MS Wedding Cakes is my favorite book for my clients to look through. I've done several of the designs (or variations of them).

I have only tried one recipe, I believe it was Mocha Spice? I don't have the book in front of me for the exact name. It was okay. I may not have been over the moon about it because I'm not a big fan of coffee. But, I wanted to try it because I want something "coffee" I can offer as one of my selections.

As far as the directions, many times you can google the different cakes in the book and other people's experience making those cakes can be found.

I visited Wendy Kromer's bakery on a day that it was closed but, it looked BEAUTIFUL through the windows. Some of those cake styles she had on display.

The cakes I've made from that book are the meringue flowers cake, the beehive cake, the square pinecone and chocolate needles cake, the really tall (7 tier) cake with royal icing stringwork. I made a few of them before I had the book to see exact details. But, all the brides were happy with them. Most of them are probably in my pics.

cmalin3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalin3 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 12

Some great designs in her books - even without directions I'm sure you could figure most out with trial and error, and perhaps make it more beautiful in the process!

I've never heard great things about her recipes though...don't want to bash, so that's as much as I'll say.

Would love to hear from anyone who's recreated her design(s) and came up with their own directions!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:

I just got Kerry Vincents Romantic Wedding Cakes as a gift, and that is one thing I LOVE about her book - the detailed instructions!

No, this book has been out for a while. It's a lovely book though with lots of great techniques in it. Here's a link for it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1853918598/?tag=cakecentral-20

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:

No, this book has been out for a while. It's a lovely book though with lots of great techniques in it. Here's a link for it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1853918598/?tag=cakecentral-20

I also love this book. The directions are so spelled out that even *I* felt like I could make a KV cake! icon_lol.gif

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 12

I also have MS Wedding Cakes book, my sister got for me for something like $.25 from a coupon someone gave her. Lucky me!!! icon_biggrin.gif I love looking at the pictures also but am dying to make one of those beautiful cakes. I'm thinking that coconut one. princess.gif

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 12:08am
post #11 of 12

Isn't it funny how some of these hob knob decorators' recipes are just ok? One of the first cake books I bought was from Slyvia Weinstock. I immediately tried the white lady baltimore cake and didn't like it at all! I think I trust CCer's recipes more.

newmansmom2004 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 12:08am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorie67

I also have MS Wedding Cakes book, my sister got for me for something like $.25 from a coupon someone gave her. Lucky me!!! icon_biggrin.gif I love looking at the pictures also but am dying to make one of those beautiful cakes. I'm thinking that coconut one. princess.gif

Definitely try the coconut cake. Not only does it taste delicious but it looks very elegant and impressive. . .even if you just make one tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%