Sponge Cake For Carving

Baking By surgetek33 Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 2:14am by surgetek33

surgetek33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgetek33 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:46am
post #1 of 6

Hi. I am what I consider new to cake decorating. I have always done my kid's cakes for their birthdays, mostly with character pans. I, like many people these days, am addicted to all the cake shows on TV. I have decided to go outside my comfort zone and start using fondant and modeling chocolate, as well as trying some sculpting. I usually bite off more than I can chew, although with decent results. I am making a cyclops cake for my son's birthday in January. I have done a test cake of a bloodshot eye that came out pretty well. I am also building a 2 foot cyclops made from rice cereal treats and modeling chocolate. Did I mention I tned to go overboard. It was my first attempt with fondant. I did however, use boxed cake mix, which doesn't carve that easily. I notice on all the cake shows that they use sponge cake which looks very carve friendly. Does anyone have a recipe for these cakes, as well as some other flavor options? I also have a bakugan cake and a Twilight cake on deck for the other kids. Thanks.

5 replies
Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:59am
post #2 of 6

Blessings

I too am fairly new to cake carving and butter cakes have worked well for me. Chill it first and then carve. I find them to be pretty sturdy. But remember, to be patient and keep trying.

Bless!

tayscafe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayscafe Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 6

I too am new and want to try carving a cake for my daughters birthday in January. I am doing a dog cake. I was researching and I read you can use the WASC for carving with great results. Have not tried it yet but will be doing a test cake soon. Keep us posted, if you find a good cake.

surgetek33 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:53am
post #4 of 6

You can see my test cake in the Kid's Birthday Gallery. I downloaded it there yesterday. Thanks for the help. icon_biggrin.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:09am
post #5 of 6

Freeze your cake first, overnight. You'll find it to be perfect for carving. It won't be frozen solid like a brick but just more dense and way easier to carve. Good luck!!

surgetek33 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:14am
post #6 of 6

That works even with the box mix? Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%