50Th B-Day Idea

Decorating By haileysmommy Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 6:58pm by tinygoose

haileysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haileysmommy Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 7

hello everyone. in a couple of months i will be hosting a 50th surprise b-day party for my mom. and i have no idea on a cake. i don't want the over the hill. i want something nice. i'm going to have it in a local vfw hall.in the past i never had this much trouble coming up with ideas.
thanks tiffany

6 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 7

Perhaps the year she was born. Or half of a 100 cake (depends how sensitive she is about her age I guess!)
Or there was a photo album cake on here in the last few days which I thought was great.
Or just something really pretty
HTH

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 7

My sister's 50th is coming up next month. I am skipping the whole over the hill idea too. She loves the beach, so I am going to make her a beach cake - beach chair, umbrella, beach ball etc..
I have another friend who is a Star Trek fan and his 50th is coming up soon too. He is getting a Star Trek cake.
Just try to think of something she really likes and do some searches of the gallery here. You are sure to come up with something great. Good Luck.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 7

I'd think that anything that is an interest of hers would work. I just did my brothers' 50th birthday cake. I did a golf cake for him and he loved it.

Also, not too long ago someone else was looking for ideas. There were some cakes based on the over the hill concept, but done in a bit of a reverse. They showed the climb up the hill, posting the numbers 10 - 20 - 30 - 40 along the way, then on the "other side of the hill" was paradise. A waterfall, beautiful grass and flowers, showing that the "best is yet to come" idea.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 12:59am
post #5 of 7

Is she a frilly gal? Love flowers? How many guests are expected?
Brows the galleries on here. There are soooooooo many ideas and ways to go w/o using the over the hill theme!

haileysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haileysmommy Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 7

thanks everyone. we are thinking about 150 people. she works at a school so they have about 60 people coming from there. she is not into anything . so i know i want to make it big . thanks for the ideas i will post what i come up with .
thanks again

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 7

I did a Hat Box cake for my MIL's 60th, she loved it. Maybe a Hat box and some gift boxes stacked with flowers. I'd use her favorite color.

I also did a cake for a ladies 70th, she wasn't into anything either, but her house was decorated in Asian modern, and she had been to China so I did a red cake with a white waterlily and bamboo. It was a big hit.

You can tell a lot about what a person likes by the way they decorate their homes. Country, sleek modern, floral....it's a good starting place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%