Who Uses A Kopycake In Their Shop?

Business By ButtercupMama Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 6:49pm by cms2

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 16

Hi guys, I wondered if we could work faster/more efficiently with a Kopycake projector? I've never actually seen or used one, but I recently met a gal who said she used one for years at a cake shop she worked at.

I always "freehand", and while that's all well and good, not all my girls can confidently freehand stuff. And if it is the sort of item that I could place a photo in, to project, say, someone's 68 camaro, I'd be on board! I'm terrible at cars and stuff with weirdo proportions. And certain company logos are a real beast to get accurate.
What can you users tell me about the projector, and your experiences with it, good or bad?

Thank you all! Everyone's input is wonderful around here!

15 replies
mommy1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy1st Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 16

I have a kopykake and I love it. It comes in handy when I am unsure of drawing a design. Some pictures work better than others in it. If It is a dark picture you are using, the outline might be hard to see. I have also used it to write with different type off of the computer. Enjoy.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 16

I used one when I had my shop and loved having it! Sure, I could free-hand pretty well...but as you pointed out, there were many times when having the KopyKake was just easier and faster.

It was definitely one of my best investments.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 16

I have one and it has been very useful to me. I used to freehand but it made my designs alot better. I don't use it as often as I used to because I don't do star tip anymore but I use it for writing on the cakes

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 16

I use mine ALL the time for writing...you get any font you want (do that part on the computer) and have it perfectly placed.... PERFECT everytime. LOVE it!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

ButtercupMama Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:38am
post #6 of 16

Okay; I think I might look for something used; last I checked they were like 400 bones, right?

Anyone get a smokin deal anywhere?

Also, can you point it at the side of a cake, say for instance to pipe on a wedding cake monogram or something?

Thanks!!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:49am
post #7 of 16

I didn't pay 400 I think it was more like 175. Here is the site:
http://www.kopykake.com/cd_projectors.html

cakeandpartygirl Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:51am
post #8 of 16

sorry it is 225 but I bought mine about 10 years ago.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:06am
post #9 of 16

I have one, I love it!

Good luck on getting a deal on one, though. I have the 300XK, which is not too, too high, but still a nice chunk of money. I know they're VERY hard to find used. I tried before I bought mine and had no luck at all. No one wants to get rid of them once they've tried it!!!

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 16

Actually I have one and never used it, is just collecting dust in my garage, is the 300. I thought that everybody was gonna say that nobody uses that anymore, lol. I guess I have to dust it off and try again.

Patty*

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 16

I found one at www.jerrysartarama.com for 179.99 then take 15% off if ordered by midnight tonight. Not sure if I'm doing that, but thought I'd put it out there. The total with the discount and shipping was like $168

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:03pm
post #12 of 16

I ordered from Jerry's and got SCREWED!!!!!!

They double charged me for shipping AND for the extension rod. What I thought was going to be a really good deal ended up costing me way more than it would have somewhere else. Their customer service was AWFUL!! They NEVER emailed or called me back (and I called REPEATEDLY). I would NEVER NEVER NEVER order from them again.

ButtercupMama Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:36am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeladyatLA

Actually I have one and never used it, is just collecting dust in my garage, is the 300. I thought that everybody was gonna say that nobody uses that anymore, lol. I guess I have to dust it off and try again.

Patty*

Hey Patty,

If you decide you don't want yours, I could be tempted to drive out to LA to buy it from you!! Seriously, my kids would love to hit the beach, and it would be a great excuse for a short roadtrip. PM me if you want to sell it! thumbs_up.gif

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #14 of 16

I have one too... and never used it! It was just too much trouble to drag out for a small home baker, that only baked for family and friends.

I am going to sell mine, but have no idea how much to sell it for.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #15 of 16

I bought mine about 7 years ago and it is and still has been my best investment...I use it all the itme.I can't freeehand to save my life so it comes in handy to get a pic from the web and outline.I paid about $225.00 for mine ..It is the 300XK.I bought the Cricut and after 3 months and endless hours trying to figure out the right fondant/gumpaste texture I said $*%- it and sold it on Kijiji. If you have the chance to get one..Go for it!!

cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 16

I have one but only used it once or twice. It always seemed that I had a hard time getting the size of the image right or to project clearly enough. Sometimes my hand blocks the light as I'm piping and therefore the image as well. Any tips on solving these issues?

I agree with the previous poster, I thought that nobody would be using theirs. Maybe I need to dust mine off as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%