Sizing Question....suggestions Appreciated!!!

Decorating By bookbabe Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 10:04pm by DeeDelightful

bookbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bookbabe Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 4

I'm going to be making a cake for a baby shower soon and I'm not sure what size to do so I'm looking for suggestions. It's for about 35 women and I'm really wanting to do a tiered cake since I haven't had the opportunity to do one in a while. It's for a librarian so I have book covers to decorate it with. I'm thinking of a 6in top for the mom to be to take home but I'm having trouble with the bottom.

Here's the options I've thought of--tell me what you think.
1. A 12 in round bottom (4in) but that may be too big of a difference from the top.

2. a 10 in square bottom (4 in)--but will that look okay??

3. a 10 in round layer and then an 8in round with the 6in top but will that be waaayyyy too much cake??? And with the differences in sizes, would the bottom layers need to be doweled?

sorry for so many questions but it's been a while and I'm just not sure what would be best!!

any suggestions????
thanks!

3 replies
greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 4

The duck cake in my photos was very similar to what you're looking for. The top was 6" and the bottom was 10". Was plenty of cake. We cut HUGE slices & some ladies took home "chunks" of cake to their husbands. HTH...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 4

..moving to Ideas forum. icon_smile.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 4

I'm doing a 6 inch round on top of a 10" square for two babyshowers in January. I think that will be cute and i think it serves about 66: the bottom square will serve 50 and the M2B can take home the top, which will serve 16. 12 inches may be way too much cake. i think 4 inches between tiers is a good look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%