Having Trouble With Wire & Fondant Decor

Decorating By curlsandcrowns Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 6:00pm by CakeMommyTX

curlsandcrowns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curlsandcrowns Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 2

HOW DO I MAKE THE DECOR WITH THE WIRE AND FONDANT WHERE IT LOOKS LIKE IT BURTS OUT OF THE TOP OF THE CAKE ? LIKE AN EXPLOSION BUT ITS PRETTY, ...HARD TO EXPLAIN. I HAVE SEEN IT ON SOME 4TH JULY CAKES. BUT MY FONDANT IS TOO HEAVY ( LITTLE BALLS ) AND THEN TRIED TO BEND THE WIRE IN CIRCLES TO GIVE AN EFFECT OF ALOT OF BALLS. I AM USING THE 20GAUGE WIRE. AND HOW DO YOU KEEP IN THE CAKE CAUSE IT FALLS OVER. THANKS....

1 reply
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 2

How big are your balls (giggle)?
I use 20 gauge wire and have'nt had a prob w/ stuff being to heavy, I make my balls about the size of a marble.
Also I use coffee stirrers to hold the wire in the cake, this serves 2 purposes 1) It holds the wire in place and keeps it from cutting thorugh the cake. 2) It protects the cake from the wire, most wire is not food safe.
I say 'most' because I'm sure there is food safe wire, I just have'nt found it yet.
To attach the fondant to the wire I heat the end of the wire with a flame (lighter) until it is hot then insert it carefully into the fondant piece, the heat will melt the sugar and when the sugar cools it will harden and act like glue and hold the piece on.
Just be carefull not to push the wire all the way through or to burn yourself, the wire heats up fast.
One more thing try shaping the wire before you attach the fondant.
HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%