Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By lutie Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 6:23am by Cake_Mooma

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 6

It appears that I am inundating you with information, but in my further pursuit of modeling chocolate knowledge, I remembered this that I had in my documents that was copied from an internet forum way back...I am sorry not to have the professional pastry's chef's name to give them the proper credit, but the information was on a chef's forum of which I used to be a member (something like chef talk or chefa""nswers)...you ask a chef a question and they give you their version of an answer...here it is.
Lutie

"I am looking for a white chocolate molding choc. recipe- and also a good resource for powdered food coloring to add to it to make it colored-

thanks-

There's a lot of recipes around for modeling chocolate, but here's mine:
A NOTE: all brands of white chocolate are DIFFERENT. You may need to adjust the amount of corn syrup you add depending on what chocolate you use and your personal preference. My recipe works perfectly with Guittard White Satin Ribbon, which unfortunately, isn't that easy to find. Do NOT use white chocolate chips!!! Pistoles or disks are fine. Or chop up a bar.

Modeling Chocolate:
3 lbs white chocolate (broken into small pieces, if not already)
1 1/3 cup light corn syrup

Put chocolate into large round plastic microwave safe bowl.
Melt in short time increments of about 2 minutes and stir very well between each increment. White chocolate burns VERY EASILY. If your microwave has adjustable power levels and you have a high wattage microwave, you might want to use 50% power. I do, because I have one of those microwaves. You want to just melt the chocolate with no graininess or lumps. Make sure you stir it well to let any residual heat melt the chocolate, rather than keep sticking it back in the micro. That's a sure way to burn it. If you notice that yourwhite chocolate starts feel thicker, then you've already burned it. I cannot stress how careful you need to be when melting white chocolate. Microwave a little at a time and stir stir stir.

When it's all perfectly melted, stick your corn syrup in the micro for about 1 minute to warm it.

Now, using a rubber spatula so you can scrape the sides of the bowl, pour the warm corn syrup all at once into your melted white chocolate, Stir quickly, using a folding motion, scrape the sides of the bowl. Your goal is to incorporate the corn syrup COMPLETELY into the white chocolate without it becoming too oily and separated. You will notice that as you stir, the chocolate will seize into a thick gooey mass and will clean the sides of the bowl. Look closely to make sure you don't have any streaks of unincorporated chocolate.....this unincorporated chocolate will become lumpy grains later, and you don't want that.
The mass will seem a little oily, that's OK. But the more you stir, the oilier it gets, and you don't want oil dripping off it either. It's a delicate balance.

Line a cookie sheet with at least 1 inch sides, or a rectangular pyrex dish with plastic wrap, so the wrap hangs over the sides. Pour yourwhite chocolate mass into the dish or cookie sheet and press it down with a spatula to flatten it out all the way to the sides of the sheet or dish. Bring up the sides of the plastic wrap to completely cover your brick ofmodeling chocolate. Place the whole thing in the fridge for a couple hours.

After it's set, bring it out to come to room temp. When it's room temperature, break up the modeling chocolate in easy to handle pieces. The pieces will look very rough. Now you have to knead it smooth. Depending on the ambient temperature of the room and the strength in your hands, you may have to stick the pieces in themicrowave to warm up for a few seconds so they are kneadable. Be careful not to overwarm the pieces, because the warmth of your hands will do the rest of that work for you. This is the moment of truth when you'll know how well you stirred it. If you have a lot of lumps and grains, then you know you didn't stir well enough, or perhaps burned the chocolate a little. Most of the time you can knead or roll them out, or if they're really big you can pick them out. But, if you did it right, this shouldn't be a problem. Once kneaded, the chocolate is ready for use. You can color it with any type of coloring....I prefer concentrated gels or powders. Liquid is not recommended, just because it makes the chocolate too slack without coloring it completely enough. However if you desire a light pastel, liquid is ok.

When working with modeling chocolate and especially when you are doing ribbons and such, I highly recommend using a manual pasta machine. The evenness and thinness of rolling is invaluable. At about 40 bucks a pop, it's a reasonable investment. I have one that I use JUST formodeling chocolate and nothing else.

When working with modeling chocolate, dust with cornstarch....not flour or powdered sugar. Always take care to brush off excess cornstarch with a soft brush when your pieces are done.

There are lots of places on the web that sell powdered color. You can google it, or go to Sugarcraft.com or Country Kitchens."

5 replies
pegalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pegalter Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 6

Because modeling chocolate has corn syrup in it, it is not oil based and can be colored with ANY type of food color - gels work just fine. Modeling chocolate will not seize like regular chocolate! And Guittard white ribbons are not realy chocolate; they are chocolate coating made with nonhydrogenated shortening.

surgetek33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgetek33 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:07am
post #3 of 6

Hi. I am using modeling chocolate for the first time and used corns starch. However, there is quite a bit left on the chocolate after applied. I tried using a pastry brush, but it really didn't do the job. What are some other options. It is a very large piece. It is a 2 foot tall cyclops for my son's birthday. I usually bite off more than I can chew, obviously. Any advice is truly welcome. Should I consider using fondant instead of the chocolate because of the size of the piece, or a combination of the two? Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

pegalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pegalter Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:32am
post #4 of 6

If you are able to "massage" the modeling chocolate (rub it with the palm of your hand) the cornstarch will disappear and the natural oils will come out and make it shiny.

surgetek33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgetek33 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:42am
post #5 of 6

Great. Thanks.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:23am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

When working with modeling chocolate, dust with cornstarch....not flour or powdered sugar. Always take care to brush off excess cornstarch with a soft brush when your pieces are done.
"

The shop I was working at used flour and cooking spray to remove the excess people loved it they seemed not have any problems.

They also covered their cakes in chocolate, like a fondant. I would like that recipe if someone has it. It was a very simple one the one they used but I was never able to get it. Oh well, I am sure I'll find it one day.

Vic

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%