I Need Ideas And Decorating Tips.help Please!

Decorating By orange93 Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 8:37am by Mensch

orange93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orange93 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:11am
post #1 of 9

Hi, i'm 16 years old and i'm in a culinary class at my school and I have been ask by my cousin to do his wedding cake. I have made a few cakes before but only for fun nothing this big. I have made cakes for my church and they have gone crazy over them. but when i was asked to do my cousins wedding cake i started to freak out. They want a 4 tier heart cake, i understand that but i dont know if i should put silk flowers around the cake or anything. HELP! icon_cry.gif

8 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:17am
post #2 of 9

Do they want fondant or buttercream? I'd get some heart pans and start practicing. Have they given you any other input? Flowers, designs, colors? Or is it pretty much up to you? Very ambitious, good luck!

orange93 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:23am
post #3 of 9

They want butter cream and they haven't given me colors yet. They said its really all up to me. They want something basic and not too flashy.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:28am
post #4 of 9

ok first I would get them to sit down with you and tell you the colors ect. Because yes they may SAY its all up to you... but ask like, what colour the flowers are, or the invitations..... stuff like that so you can at least have I match!

Good luck and remember to post pictures!

orange93 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:31am
post #5 of 9

i really agree with you sweetheart, I do need to sit down with them because i want everything to match and look pretty. thumbs_up.gif

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:43am
post #6 of 9

Orange93 ~ good luck with your wedding cake and welcome to CC. There will be all sorts of advise from the wise ones here. Be sure to check out the gallery for some ideas.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:02am
post #7 of 9

Hi and Welcome to CC, orange93. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

HTH

Edited to correct typo.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:32am
post #8 of 9

and i must say im impressed! 16 and doing a wedding cake (ok sorry you must get that alot lol)

I really cant wait to see how it turns out!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:37am
post #9 of 9

I would sit down with them and get a clear picture about what they want and let them know your limitations, also. They might come with a Ron Ben-Israel pic and think it looks so simple!

Are they reimbursing you in any way for the cake? Buying ingredients for you? Paying for your time? You need to get clear on this, too, preferably in writing, and if they are paying ingredients/supplies, price it out ahead of time and get reimbursed ahead of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%