Problem With Cricut Deep Blade When Cutting Gumpaste

Decorating By smorris7119 Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 2:17am by shadowgypsie

smorris7119 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smorris7119 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:05am
post #1 of 26

Is anyone else having a problem when cutting gum paste with the cricut.
My deep cut blade is getting gumked up with gum paste when I'm doing 2" butterflies. I'm using gum paste its put through a KA pasta machine down to 4, dried it for 10 min. Using 2 pressure 2 speed and I've tried every blade setting but I found 2 or 3 works best. The cuts are ok the only problem is the blade getting cloughed. If anyone has any suggestions I would try just about anything at this point.
Thanks in advance.

25 replies
greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:19am
post #2 of 26

i'm trying for the 1st time tonight. Deep blade on the Expression...having same issues. I dried for more than 10 minutes, still seemed too wet. Using Wilton pre-made gumpaste. I'm moving the blade to 5, pressure to 2, speed to 2, will see what happens!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:26am
post #3 of 26

try this for gumpaste using cricut expression

blade(deep cut)=Depth 4
pressure=1
speed=4

tatorchip Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:29am
post #4 of 26

try this for fondant with tylose added with the cricut expression

blade (deep cut)=depth 4
pressure=2
speed=4

HTH

greengyrl26 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:33am
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

try this for fondant with tylose added with the cricut expression

blade (deep cut)=depth 4
pressure=2
speed=4

HTH

Thanks! How long did you let this dry, and what thickness did you roll it out to?

tatorchip Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:42am
post #6 of 26

I cut mine out with the hand crank pasta roller I rolled down to the thinnest setting. I let it sit for 10 minutes but I had tylose in my fondant. I use a handful of fondant with 1/4 teaspoon tylose kneaded into it. I used white and painted later. Some times adding gel color makes your fondant wetter so just adjust with a tad more tylose. I only have used the white fondant with my cricut so far

greengyrl26 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:40am
post #7 of 26

tatorchip...thanks for the info. I'm gonna bug you just a bit more.

I'm so frustrated at this point I could scream. So, I'm stopping for tonight, but will try again tomorrow. I switched to Satin Ice fondant with a ton of tylose added in. Rolled as thin as I could (my hand-crank pasta roller is a piece of CRAP and is all gummed up!). I let it set for about 15 minutes, and had the same issue as always. very jaggedy edges and the blade is gummed up after one simple cut!

Can I ask what pasta machine you're using? My fondant was rolled out to about 1/2 the thickness of a nickel.

Do you have some jagged edges too that you're smoothing afterwards or is it actually making clean cuts for you? I'm just so annoyed! TIA!!!

tatorchip Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 5:18am
post #8 of 26

before I pass my fondant (wilton) in the pasta roller I dust it with cornstarch, it helps keep the pasta roller from gumming up. Light dust it before each roll, very light.
It sounds like your fondant is thin enough but I didn't use satin ice, I only use the wilton fondant for my cricut. So I can't say one way or the other how satin ice works. I took all of the sticky off my mat and lightly coat with crisco. I also have Linda's dvd which helped me sooooooo much.
It took a while for me to get everything just right but once I did, it isn't so hard to do. I use the same settings each time. Do you have the deep cut blade? Remember to move the rubber rings all the way to each side, in other words your not useing them while cutting the fondant. Some cut them off but I just moved mine all the way to each side. Feel free to ask anytime. HTH

greengyrl26 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:49am
post #9 of 26

Okay. Tonight went a little better than last night, but I'm still not quite there. I switched to Wilton, used more Tylose than before and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. First cut was clean, anything after that is a gummed-up, jagged mess. Now I think that maybe I'm not getting the fondant thin enough, and my crappy roller won't roll anymore (I removed all of the bits that were stuck in it last night!). So...I really need a new roller. I'm looking for something motorized. Maybe the KitchenAid attachment? Any suggestions?

Also, with the ONE clean cut that I actually got...the fondant/tylose was so very dry and brittle. But Linda's doesn't look like that on the video at all.

Ugh. it's just so frustrating! But that one clean cut tonight has given me a glimmer of hope. I need to order a new fondant/pasta/clay roller ASAP. Any and ALL suggestions are desperately needed!!!

greengyrl26 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:16am
post #10 of 26

SUCCESS!!!
YAHOO!!! YIPPEEE!!!! HORRAY!!!!

Can you tell I'm excited? After 3 days of trial and error (mostly ERROR) I finally did it!!! Just as I suspected...my fondant roller was the culprit. I simply wasn't getting it thick enough. Now, I've whined about my issues in several Cricut forums over the last few days, so I'll now post this message in all of them, in hopes of helping someone else!

Cricut Model - Expression, rubber feeders moved to the sides
Software Used - Sure Cuts alot
Blade - Deep Cut on 3, 4 and 5, depending on thickness. Generally wold reccommend 4.
Speed- 3
Pressure - 2

Gumpaste - Wilton pre-made fondant with Tylose (2 tsp per pound).

Drying time - 10 minutes once on the mat. At this thickness, could probably do 8 or 9 minutes.

Pasta Roller - KitchenAid attachment. Just got this tonight and it was the magic trick!!! If you have a hand-crank...trash it and GO GET THE KITCHENAID!!! Got mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond with the 20% coupon, and thru tomorrow, they have a rebate as well. Anyways....rolled my fondant to level 5, that was plenty thin.

Cricut Mat - 12x12 with stickiness removed, crisco applied.

Hints/Tips
This worked PERFECTLY. No jagged edges at all. No torn fondant! The only thing, I used a 5 on the kitchenaid roller, and it's pretty thin. Am going to try it a little thicker to give the cut-outs more stability. It takes a while to get your settings right, but believe me, it's soooo worth it!!!

Pics attached. You can see how small & intricate the hydrangea is. I was so excited to post about my success that I didn't even pick out the teeny tiny cut-outs of it!!!
LL
LL
LL

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:25am
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

SUCCESS!!!

Yea!!! So happy the KA attachment worked for you, now that is definately what I will be using, WTG and congratulations thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:23am
post #12 of 26

Yea!!!!!! I'm so glad it has worked for you, as I said earlier Happy New Year.

greengyrl26 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:30am
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

I simply wasn't getting it thick enough

OOPS...I meant THIN enough!!!

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:23am
post #14 of 26

I am buying my kitchen aid attachment tomorrow!

Lomikesa

rekenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rekenn Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 9:54am
post #15 of 26

Can you use the Wilton's Gum-Tex Fum Paste instead of the Tylose, or is the tylose a superior product?

Thanks

greengyrl26 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:37pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekenn

Can you use the Wilton's Gum-Tex Fum Paste instead of the Tylose, or is the tylose a superior product?

Well...I don't know about "superior", but I've used them both and I prefer Tylose...

tatorchip Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 26

greengyrl26 quote
SUCCESS!!!

greengyrl26, Congratulations, so glad for you, andpotts knows a lot about using the cricut, she is the one that helped me in the past, I also use Linda's dvd. I am glad the ka pasta roller helped you. I think I will take your advice (when mine stops working) and get one. Have a ball with your cricut.

wtare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wtare Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 9:03pm
post #18 of 26

I keep hearing about Linda's DVD. Can someone tell me what DVD this is??

I am so out of the loop!
Thanks

greengyrl26 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 9:06pm
post #19 of 26

Linda McClure is the lady who invented the method of using the Cricut to cut gumpaste. She did a very good instructional dvd, which you can buy from her website. I highly recommend it, though you'll still have to go thru some trial & error as everyone's individual machine & pasta roller settings differ.

You can buy the dvd at: creative designs cakes com (no spaces)

(edited so that the website will show)

wtare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wtare Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 12:28am
post #20 of 26

Thank you! I will check out her site.

chelsyray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelsyray Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:39pm
post #21 of 26

I looked at the KA pasta roller and realize that it is fairly narrow. Are you guys simply using this to thin it enough to make the decorations? Are you not also using this to cover the cakes? I was hoping to find something relatively inexpesive to roll fondant with that would do both. Would love any input. Thanks!

greengyrl26 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:41pm
post #22 of 26

No, sorry. I'm just using it to roll it thin enough to fit thru the cricut. I have yet to find something that I would consider "relatively inexpensive" to roll out pieces large enough to cover a cake. I think you probably need a Somerset for that. icon_sad.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:47pm
post #23 of 26

I think you're talking thousands of dollars for something to roll fondant big enough to cover a cake.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:22pm
post #24 of 26

thanks for the tips! I've been having the same issue!

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 10:19pm
post #25 of 26

You would need a dough sheeter to roll fondant in a piece big enough to cover a cake.

Jo

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 2:17am
post #26 of 26

Hey cricut users, Cricut is coming out with a cutter just for cakes.
It's like the Expression but for Icing only. There's a video on you tube showing it in use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%