Royal Icing Separated

Baking By devorie Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 4:30pm by antonia74

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:05am
post #1 of 4

I'm having an issue with meringue powder royal icing that I stored in the cupboard. I made it a week ago and with the exception of one day (when I was cooking) the temperature in my kitchen is in the high 60s. I just took the RI out and noticed that it separated. Is it still safe to use? Does anyone know why it happened? Am I better off storing it in the fridge?

TIA

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:18am
post #2 of 4

I've used it. Made a big batch of orange RI for halloween cookies and had a bunch leftover. Had no idea if RI could be stored or not, so I covered it and set it aside. About a week later, I uncovered it. It had a solid "crust" on top but when I broke thru, underneath it was a syrupy consistency. I gave it a big stir and the RI came right back to the right consistency. Used it on the cookies I was making for family and everyone agreed it tasted fine.

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:25am
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much!!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 4

Thinned royal icing will separate into three distinct layers when left to sit for an extended period. Untinted, the top layer is fluffy/spongey/marshmallowy, the middle is a pale yellow runny liquid and the bottom is thick/dense/solid. The separation process will start within 24 hours or so.

Indydebi's right, it just needs to be re-mixed. About 6-8 minutes with the beater/paddle attachment of the mixer and it's good to go again. Add a few tsp of water or a few tsp of icing sugar to adjust the thinness/thickness again if need be.

No need to store it in the fridge, I find that thins the icing and distorts colours over time. It's not perishable, it can stay in cool/dark storage for weeks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%