Roland Winbeckler's French Vanilla Sour Cream Cake...help

Baking By vicki3336 Updated 2 Oct 2012 , 5:34pm by mbranko24

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 20

Recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups of sifted flour. Does anyone know if he means cake flour or AP flour? Has anyone made this and what did you use? I weigh my ingredients but am confused what weight to use. One cup of sifted flour will obviously weigh less than one cup of unsifted flour. I just used my last cake flour making this cake for my friend's 50th birthday tomorrow and as it was baking, saw the oil still in the measuring cup sitting on the counter. Can't run to store as I'm waiting for septic company to get here...you don't want to know what I've been through this morning with that!

I've googled relentlessly searching for answers to no avail. Please help!

19 replies
Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 20

The recipe I printed from one of the threads here calls for cake flour. I actually made this recipe 2 days ago and I measured and then sifted. Hope this helps....

vicki3336 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 20

Iva: Thank you. How did you like it? I've only had it in cupcakes (which were great) but wonder how it will be as a cake.

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 20

I actually made cupcakes and a cake, It was pretty good. This was the first time I made a vanilla cake from scratch that didnt taste or have the texture of cornbread.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 20

If the recipe states "2 1/2 cups sifted flour" then sift first and then measure.

When a recipe states "2 1/2 cups flour sifted" then measure first and then sift.

There is a HUGE difference in the amount of flour here when you sift first and then measure.

Most times when a recipe fails it's because the flour was incorrectly measured/weighed, so read the recipe carefully.

I use cake flour in this recipe as I do in all of my cakes.

HTH

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:00am
post #6 of 20

does anyone have the time to lead me to the thread of this recipe..or write it here .. either way that is best for you.. tia

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:06am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

does anyone have the time to lead me to the thread of this recipe..or write it here .. either way that is best for you.. tia

Here you go icer....you can find all the cakes from the different challenges on this site too.

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/ultimate-cake-off/recipes/french-vanilla-sour-cream-cake.html

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:17am
post #8 of 20

Vicki.... I used cake flour in this recipe, and made cupcakes and a layer cake to test it. I was pleased with both, and would give it 4 out of 5 stars.. hth

icer101 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:38am
post #9 of 20

thank you dkelly....

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:32am
post #10 of 20

didn't i read on a forum here that some of TLC's posted recipes were incomplete at best? it is good to know that this recipe can be vouched for icon_smile.gif. i am always looking for a good vanilla cake that isn't boring.

vicki3336 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:33am
post #11 of 20

I just got back from my friend's birthday party. Although the cake tasted good, for the first time since I converted to scratch baking, my cake was like cornbread. Always wondered why people described cakes that way...now I know. I sifted and then measured the cake flour, but unfortunately thought I could make it better by changing the method, i.e. creaming butter and sugar first, alternating dry ingredients, instead of just following directions and dumping it in together.

Anyway, lesson learned. My first gumpaste flowers turned out pretty good though. She loved the cake and that's all that counts (at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Thanks for all the advice.

icer101 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:08am
post #12 of 20

i wrote to the winbeckler site.. and asked .. if it was cake flour or a/p flour.. they already wrote back.. and said it was a/p flour.. hth

Tabasum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tabasum Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 3:55am
post #13 of 20

Hi,
The recipe calls for 1 small package dry instant vanilla pudding mix how much is this in quantity. I made this cake yesterday and I used a 100 gms packet of the pudding mix. The cake batter was very thick. and the texture of the cake was not good. Please help. Thanks

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 3:57pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasum

Hi, The recipe calls for 1 small package dry instant vanilla pudding mix how much is this in quantity. I made this cake yesterday and I used a 100 gms packet of the pudding mix. The cake batter was very thick. and the texture of the cake was not good. Please help. Thanks

You used the same "small" packet of pudding mix as is sold in the US. They run 85-110 grams for various brands.

You probably didn't sift your flour before measuring it (see above comments). If you see that your batter is **that** thick when you use pudding mix, then just add another 50mL of water and gently mix it in.

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 20

I too have a question- what is "double acting baking powder"?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 4:28pm
post #16 of 20

Double acting baking powder is a mixture of baking soda and some acid that dissolves slowly. The acid ingredients in the batter cause the "first" rising action as soon as liquid is added. The heat of the oven releases the acid from the powder and causes the "second" action.

Legal acids in North America are potassium acid tartrate (cream of tartar) and acid calcium phosphate. I don't know what is permitted elsewhere, but please do NOT use a baking powder with aluminum phosphate--it's not good for your health.

You can mix your own baking powder from one volume of soda (sodium bicarbonate) and two volumes of cream of tartar and one volume of corn starch. This should be sifted together, and then stored in a tightly closed glass jar.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 4:34pm
post #17 of 20

Double-acting baking powder has two activations. First when the liquid hits it and again when it heats up. This way you can let your batter stand for a while before baking. Single-acting baking powder only has the initial activation so you must bake your batter off immediately after baking. Most baking powder is double-acting nowadays.

mbranko24 Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 4:42pm
post #18 of 20

Thank you so much for your replies.

Not to sound dumb, but is what is sold in stores "double acting" ?

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 5:05pm
post #19 of 20

Most of it is... it should say it on the container. I have a can of Rumford and itis double-acting.

mbranko24 Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 5:34pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks! I am not at home but will check my container. ;0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%