I Got An Airbrush Gun For Xmas!! Is It A Good One??

Decorating By Normita Updated 1 Jan 2010 , 5:54pm by NYCGiGi

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 5:20am
post #1 of 11

My DH bought me an airbrush gun and I wanted to know if anyone else out there has it?? I have heard good things about kopykake but my hubby ended up buying me this one. Any thoughts?? Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001THQ5FM/?tag=cakecentral-20

10 replies
Normita Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 6:34am
post #2 of 11

Heeellloooo???

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 7:38am
post #3 of 11

Perhaps you should be a little more patient for an answer, considering it's quite late at night in the US and I'm sure most of us are utterly exhausted after all the work that goes into Christmas Day festivities.

Yes, it's a good one. Enjoy.

Normita Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:36am
post #4 of 11

Any other suggestions regarding this airbrush gun?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:40am
post #5 of 11

Suggestions? What kind of suggestions are are you looking for?

You have a double-action, gravity-fed airbrush and a compressor made for our application of cake decorating. That's what ya need for airbrushing cakes. Yay! icon_smile.gif

Now you can go buy yourself a coloring book and start practicing.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:00am
post #6 of 11

That would be my compressor, have fun!

You need to lift the black thing up and go right or left with it while the compressor is working, make sure your brush is attached as well. You need to watch the dial.

Normally, I use it at 18 psi.

If you need help pm me.

Normita Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:30am
post #7 of 11

Basically what I wanted to know were the pros and cons and any helpful tips about using this particular airbrush gun. Thank u guys for ur helpful commentsicon_smile.gif . Now time to practice.....I'm nervous!!!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 11

Normita, a few months ago, I got this same system from TCP. At first, I loved it, but after just a few uses, it began to take longer and longer and longer to pump up. Finally, the last time I tried to use it, I had to let it pump up for 10-12 min, and get really hot, before it had enough pressure. I called TCP to ask about repair/replacement, and they were so kind and helpful. The man didn't even suggest repair, just said he'd get a new compressor out to me asap. I asked about shipping the old one back, and he said not to even bother...he didn't want it back.

Within a week, I had the replacement compressor and was shocked to they had sent me a better, more expensive model. I called again just to make sure there had been no mistake, and was told that they were temporarily out of the model I'd ordered, to they sent me the next model up.

I have used this new compressor several times, and I love it...no problems at all! Long story, but just wanted to give props to this company for their customer service. Keep your receipt (has your order number) just in case you have any problems, but the customer service I've encountered so far is awesome!

As far as tips, I'd just say practice, practice, practice, practice....

It's all about trigger/gun control, and that's a matter of developing a steady hand and steady pressure control. I agree with HowCool...I usually stay between 13-18 psi, depending on what I'm spraying.

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 11

Sassy - do you mind telling us which compressor they sent? Sounds like you like the new one better.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 11

NYCGigi, they sent me the TC-20T. It's a little larger, and has a seperate tank on the bottom, so it holds air and doesn't have to pump constantly. It's a bigger unit (which I wanted to avoid) but I'll deal with the size to get the performance. I do really like it!

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you for the information!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%