Transporting Cake Ball Trees?

Decorating By jillmakescakes Updated 24 Dec 2009 , 6:55pm by DianeLM

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 4

So I made a pretty little cake ball tree:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1543108

Now my questions is: How on earth do you make these safe for transport? I'd love to be able to market these, but I need some tips. Since these are very top heavy, I know that if Joe-schmoe picks it up, it will topple as soon as they turn out of the parking space.

Anybody got any good tips, tricks or hints? Or does everyone just deliver them?

edited to correct typo

3 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 4

When I was a member of YA...I saw their cookie bouquet video....she had a box (I have searched the internet for a pic..but no luck)...lets see if I can explain it...

square box....mabye 4-5 inches tall...the unique thing was...the top piece had a circle cut into it...the circle had flaps...like when you cover a cake circle with fanci foil and you have to cut the liner (like this) http://www.wilton.com/decorating/cake-decorating/covering-cake-board-with-fanci-foil.cfm

anyway, its the inside of the circle that looks like this...so that when you insert your pot into the circle the "cardboard wedges" will come back and snugly support the pot inside the circle...are you totally confused now? icon_biggrin.gif

There is no top part to touch the cake ball bites...only the pot is inserted into the box.

sorry if its vague and confusing....

hth

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 4

I know exactly what you're talking about, sherrycanary.

The top of the box is cut like one would cut the top of a cake where something is bursting out (Elmo, e.g.)

Trace a circle the same size as widest part of the pot. So, if your pot is 5 inches tall, and your box is 4 inches tall, measure the width at the 4 inch mark of your pot.

Divide the circle as you would a pie, and cut the pieces from the center, leaving the back intact.

Shove the pot through the pie pieces and they'll hold your pot snug.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 4

One more thing...

Your tree will be more stable if it's on a wide base. So, I'd suggest using a temporary adhesive (like those snot dots) to glue the pot onto a large square piece of foamboard, same size as the box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%