lanalei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanalei Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 7:26am
post #1 of 14

Has anybody worked with cupcake caps???? icon_surprised.gif

13 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 8:05am
post #2 of 14

Hmmmm... never heard of them until now. Interesting product, though it's pretty simple to do that yourself and cheaper too. I guess if you had no decorating skill what-so-ever they might be useful, but I'm happy doing my own.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 8:37am
post #3 of 14

OK, I'll bite. What are cupcake caps?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 10:30am
post #4 of 14
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 14

I guess if you could justify adding $1.00 per cupcake expense. This is perfect for those DIY brides though!

i'm just wondering if the fondant would be all hard......I mean if you let it sit out for a day or two it gets pretty stiff...wonder how fresh these things are? I applaud the person selling them though...........find something other people hate to do and offer to do it for them......for money of course!! It's how most great businesses get started!

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks for the info. I looked at the website, and they are quite beautiful, but I can't possibly believe that they really taste good.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 14

Well, they 'claim' that they're not made of fondant. Great for DIY folks, but I would rather make my own.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 14

Ingredients: Cane sugar, Corn syrup, Dextrose, Cornstarch,
Water, Gelatin, Natural and artificial flavors, Artificial colors, Tetrasodium

Ummm, with the exception of a few of those ingredients....that is fondant. icon_confused.gif Pretty close to the recipe I use anyways. I can say I use cane sugar, which I do, only when it's in the form I use it in....it's powdered sugar. Which is cane sugar. icon_lol.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 14

Ditto to Jamie's post, you do use cane sugar, and tetrasodium is just to preserve the stuff ... so you use the same thing minus preservatives ... but it's not fondant because it's called cupcake caps?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 2:17am
post #10 of 14

I read the ingrediants also and it sounds like fondant to me.
I love the part where they say it tastes way better then fondant, seriously folks fondant gets a bad rap , mine taste awesome and I would'nt use it on a cake if it did'nt , nor would all the famous cakers we see on tv.
So why do people still bash the stuff, it' getting old.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 2:47am
post #11 of 14

Wow I guess there is a market for everything! All it takes is someone with some "not-fondant", a texture board, a biscuit cutter and a dream of making it big icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

stillatulsagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stillatulsagirl Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 14

Hi!

My name is Brooke Brooks and Cupcake Caps are my creation/company. : )

Admittedly, you guys (and others on this web site) are all so skilled/talented that you're not exactly the target audience (although we're happy to sell to you too - lol) These were created for someone that didn't have the time/skill/tools/inclination to do their own fancy decoration.

I'm a single mom and was originally looking for a solution that could sit on the pantry shelf until I needed them. This is what I came up with.

No - not fondant. If you read the ingredients for most "confectionery" products, you're right... many of them will look quite similar although taste/texture can vary quite greatly depending on how the sugar is prepared. FDA categorizes Cupcake Caps in the same category as Peeps and Orange Circus Peanuts.

Happy New Year and good cupcaking to everyone!
Brooke
: )

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 14

hi brooke,
i just checked out your website-wow your cupcake toppers are lovely!
who wouldnt want these on their cupcakes.
congrats to you for seeing a need and going for it. i may just be ordering from you soon!
also, welcome to CC!
darlene

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:25pm
post #14 of 14

Brooke,
Welcome to CC.
The cupcake caps look wonderful.

-Debbie B. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%