Is It Possible To Color Coconut...

Decorating By babycakes1 Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm by -K8memphis

babycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes1 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make a coconut cake and my recipe calls for toasted coconut on top of the icing. Should I try to dye the coconut after it's toasted or before it's toasted... or has someone tried it and had bad results? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

3 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 4

personally i would throw the coconut in a baggie, dye it, then put it in the oven to dry it/toast it. That's what I've done in the past.
Good luck!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 4

it's definitely possible.........here is a taco "cake" I made where I died coconut green and orangy-yellow (for cheese)

I actually find that the powdered colors work best, but if you don't have them...for whatever reason the cheapy food colors (liquid) from the grocery store seem to work better than the gels.......distributes more evenly on the coconut.

Put your coconut in a sandwich bag and add the color a drop at a time (only takes a little) and massage the color into the coconut!
LL

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 4

Only thing about coloring then toasting is that it might turn brown-ish. I like to get my coconut really toasty and carmelized-y. But if you were careful and toasted it lightly/carefully it would be ok.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%