Cake Batter Cookies

Baking By Megz8706 Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 5:15am by Bunsen

Megz8706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megz8706 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 55

Has anyone made these before?I was thinking about making them for New Year Eve but I'm afraid theyd be runny.Anyone have any suggestions?This would be my first time making them so anything would help.Thanks alot in adavanced

54 replies
Brookbourque Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookbourque Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 55

One of my friends does 1 box of cake mix 1 egg and 1 container of cool whip mix together use a spoon dip batter in powder sugar then put on a cookie sheet. They are very good.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 55

Heck yeah! A lot of my cookie recipes start with a cake mix!

----------------------------
1 18.5 ounce cake mix
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup oil
add whatever cookie additive you like: choc chips, M&M's, nuts, etc.

mix all, scoop into balls, bake at 375.

---------and---------------

1 18.5 ounce cake mix
2 eggs
1 Tbsp water (adjust as needed)
1/2 cup shortening
add whatever cookie additive you like.
We use chocolate cake mix, then roll the balls in p.sugar for "chocolate crackles"

---------and----------------

1 lemon cake mix
1/2 cup soft butter
2 eggs
1 cup p.sugar + extra for coating

mix all, roll into balls, roll in the extra p.sugar. Bake 350 until edges are JUST brown. (Don't overbake!) When cool, drizzle with melted white chocolate.

These lemon cookies are the ones that my granddaughter INSISTS that her Banna make for Santa Claus. Even tho' her mom can make them, she just KNOWS that if they're not BANNA'S cookies, then Santa won't leave her as many toys. THese are also the cookies that when I sent them in on the cookie order for the car dealership, when the word got out that "Lemon Cookies are in the order today!" there was a stampede for these cookies!

s_barnes76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_barnes76 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookbourque

One of my friends does 1 box of cake mix 1 egg and 1 container of cool whip mix together use a spoon dip batter in powder sugar then put on a cookie sheet. They are very good.

My son brought this recipe home from school one day and said they were very good (and this is coming from a picky teenager who doesn't really eat cookies). I haven't tried it yet, but I'm glad to see someone else thinks they are good icon_smile.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Heck yeah! A lot of my cookie recipes start with a cake mix!

----------------------------
1 18.5 ounce cake mix
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup oil
add whatever cookie additive you like: choc chips, M&M's, nuts, etc.

mix all, scoop into balls, bake at 375.

---------and---------------

1 18.5 ounce cake mix
2 eggs
1 Tbsp water (adjust as needed)
1/2 cup shortening
add whatever cookie additive you like.
We use chocolate cake mix, then roll the balls in p.sugar for "chocolate crackles"

---------and----------------

1 lemon cake mix
1/2 cup soft butter
2 eggs
1 cup p.sugar + extra for coating

mix all, roll into balls, roll in the extra p.sugar. Bake 350 until edges are JUST brown. (Don't overbake!) When cool, drizzle with melted white chocolate.

These lemon cookies are the ones that my granddaughter INSISTS that her Banna make for Santa Claus. Even tho' her mom can make them, she just KNOWS that if they're not BANNA'S cookies, then Santa won't leave her as many toys. THese are also the cookies that when I sent them in on the cookie order for the car dealership, when the word got out that "Lemon Cookies are in the order today!" there was a stampede for these cookies!

Thank you Debi!,

I have 2 boxes of lemon cake mix, I was just about to throw out.

indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

Thank you Debi!,

omg, lemon cakes mixes are considered GOLD in my house! I can get my son in law to do ANYTHING I need computer-wise (it's what he does for a living) ... all I have to do is mention, "there's lemon cookies in it for you!" icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

The batter is very sticky. If you have any of the food safety gloves, I strongly recommend wearing those to roll them in the p.sugar. It's just less messy.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 55
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you Debi!,

omg, lemon cakes mixes are considered GOLD in my house! I can get my son in law to do ANYTHING I need computer-wise (it's what he does for a living) ... all I have to do is mention, "there's lemon cookies in it for you!" icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

The batter is very sticky. If you have any of the food safety gloves, I strongly recommend wearing those to roll them in the p.sugar. It's just less messy.

Thanks for the heads up on sticky.

I just got off the phone with a friend describing this new jewel. She can't wait for the experiments that are going to happen tonight!

You rock, Debi!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 12:11am
post #8 of 55

You must try Gooey Butter Cookies...they are unbelievable. They just melt in your mouth. They are so simple too! Here is a link to the recipe that I use. Using a yellow BUTTER cake mix actually gets them more like the taste of a Gooey Butter Cake (the recipe just says yellow). Chilling the dough for at least 30 minutes really helps with the stickiness factor, as does coating your finger tips with the powdered sugar you roll them in. Make them pretty small because they are really really rich!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gooey-Butter-Cookies/Detail.aspx

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 12:25am
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissieCakes

You must try Gooey Butter Cookies...they are unbelievable. They just melt in your mouth. They are so simple too! Here is a link to the recipe that I use. Using a yellow BUTTER cake mix actually gets them more like the taste of a Gooey Butter Cake (the recipe just says yellow). Chilling the dough for at least 30 minutes really helps with the stickiness factor, as does coating your finger tips with the powdered sugar you roll them in. Make them pretty small because they are really really rich!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gooey-Butter-Cookies/Detail.aspx

These sound spectacular as well.

Thanks

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 55

Hi there....I made delicious cookies to give away as X-Mas gifts. I started with a cake mix and added 1/2 cup of oil, and 2 eggs. Mixed well. I used a small ice cream scoop and placed 2 inches apart on my Siltpad (I love this stuff), anyway I flattened them a bit so they would bake as flat cookies and not round mounds (the mix does not spread out). Bake at 350 10 - 12 minutes. I did about 15 for crispy cookies. They came out delicious!!!! I made chocolate, lemon, and carrot cake cookies. I also made coconut cookies. I make the coconut cookies every year b/c everyone loves them and they are super easy: 1 can condensed milk, 1 bag sweetened flaked coconut (14 oz.), 2 tsp. vanilla extract, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Mix well and drop by teaspoons (I recommend using a Siltpad). They are very sticky so you need 2 teaspoons to actually do this right. You bake at 350 for 10 - 14 minutes. They will spread a bit and the edges will brown. They are chewy cookies. I have also added a bit of marachino juice (instead of the vanilla) and added chopped marachino cherries. You can't eat just one.
Sorry but did not take pictures icon_sad.gif . Half of them are gone already!!

Merry Christmas and a great 2010 to all icon_smile.gif

Naty

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 55

A little off subject, but what is a Siltpad?

Thanks for the recipes, I'll have to try them. Never made cookies with cake mix before.

indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naty

I flattened them a bit so they would bake as flat cookies and not round mounds (the mix does not spread out).

I think it depends on the recipe because all of mine spread really well. Matter of fact, when anyone makes those lemon cookies, be sure to leave PLENTY of room between the cookies!

The first recipe I listed (with the brown sugar) doesn't spread very much, but the other two spread nicely.

tab_stout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab_stout Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 55

OMG I was just planning on making a bunch of these for the first time. A coworker brought some into work the other day and then shared the recipe. They were so good!!! Here is the recipe she used. Super easy and so yummy. I plan on playing with the recipe some to make other flavors, chocolate, strawberry, and lemon. Can't wait!!

1 box of Yellow Cake Mix (or Chocolate)
1 8oz. package of cream cheese
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick)
1/4 tsp of Vanilla extract
1 egg
1/4 cup of powdered sugar

Naty Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:52pm
post #14 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elserj

A little off subject, but what is a Siltpad?

Thanks for the recipes, I'll have to try them. Never made cookies with cake mix before.

I'm sorry icon_redface.gif I mispelled it. It is Silpat. It's a silicone baking mat that is awesome. Practically nothing sticks to it. Here is the site: http://www.silpat.com

I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $20. If you don't have one, I guess you can use parchment paper instead.

Naty Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:57pm
post #15 of 55
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naty

I flattened them a bit so they would bake as flat cookies and not round mounds (the mix does not spread out).

I think it depends on the recipe because all of mine spread really well. Matter of fact, when anyone makes those lemon cookies, be sure to leave PLENTY of room between the cookies!

The first recipe I listed (with the brown sugar) doesn't spread very much, but the other two spread nicely.

Thank you for your input! I had made the carrot cake ones originally with 1/4 cup melted butter, 1 egg yolk, and 1 - 8 oz. cream cheese. (I got the recipe from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns book). So I dropped them by teaspoons and they did not spread at all! so I redid them with the oil and eggs instead and that is when they worked.

By the way, have you made biscotti from a cake mix? I did last year; and while they tasted wonderful, I had trouble cutting them after the 1st bake. Eventhough I used a serrated knife, they broke off and fell apart. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Naty

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:04pm
post #16 of 55

I just made some lemon cookies:

lemon cake mix, 2 eggs, 1/3 c. veg. oil, 1 tsp. lemon extract

and they were SO good, nice and chewy and yummy!!!

Also made some chocolate/mint chip cookies:

choc. cake mix, 2 eggs, 1 stick butter, choc. chips, 1 tsp. mint extract- sprinkled tops with chunks of Andes mints

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY cookies!!

Also made some little raspberry turnovers using sleeve filling and crescent rolls.........gotta love Semi homemade stuff......I was so busy I couldn't find time to make ANYTHING from scratch for my poor DH's work for a cookie platter.....but they didn't complain........

oh indydebi, I also made your peanut butter cup tart things.....so good (used a pb cookie mix where you add egg and oil though lol) but who noticed?

kiki07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki07 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 8:10pm
post #17 of 55

My first experiment with cake mix cookies were German Chocolate sandwich cookies. One box german choc cake mix, one egg and one stick of butter. Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes (I used a scoop to measure them out). When they were completely cool I sandwiched them with coconut pecan frosting. They went fast!

indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:36pm
post #18 of 55

kiki, I bet those DID go fast! I'll be trying that one for our next gathering!

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:54pm
post #19 of 55

My favorite type of cake mix cookies are Rolo cookies -- use a chocolate mix and whatever else you add (I use two eggs and 1/3 c. oil). Then pack the dough around a Rolo and bake -- the Rolo melts and leaves a thin layer of caramel in the middle of the cookie. Top with melted milk chocolate and let set. They are amazing!

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:57pm
post #20 of 55

All of these sound fabulous!! Thanks!

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:11pm
post #21 of 55

Need IndyDebi!
My lemon cookies didn't spread. They actually baked up puffy and hollow.

The only part of the directions I didn't follow was I had to refrigerate the dough and didn't wait until room temp.

Is that my problem.

Thank you.

indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 6:02pm
post #22 of 55

aauugghhh!!! my fault! my fault!

It's only 1/2 cup p.sugar in the batter, not one full cup! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I was reducing the recipe from my commercial recipe (I used a min of 6 cake mixes when I made a batch of these!) and I did the math wrong on the p.sugar!

I am SO sorry!!!

When I'd make these dough balls and freeze them, they wouldn't spread as much, but I'm betting my screw up in the measurement was a contributing factor!

Add'l note ..... when I take them out of the oven, I bang the cookie sheet on the counter to really flatten them.

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 6:29pm
post #23 of 55

I call these Raspberry Kisses. They are relatively easy one dark chocolate cake mix, 1/2 cup chocolate chips (melted), 8 oz. cream cheese, 1 stick butter, an egg (all room temp) and about 2T half & half. Use 1T size scoop. Bake 12 minutes at 350, take out and make well in the center while still on the cookie sheet. (Used my gumpaste ball tool) Move to rack and cool. Fill with seedless raspberry jam (takes about 1 cup) and then melt the rest of the bag of chocolate chips and a little butter and pipe over the top. I brought them to work and they were a big hit.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 7:10pm
post #24 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki07

My first experiment with cake mix cookies were German Chocolate sandwich cookies. One box german choc cake mix, one egg and one stick of butter. Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes (I used a scoop to measure them out). When they were completely cool I sandwiched them with coconut pecan frosting. They went fast!

A gal I worked with years ago used to make cookie bouquets that looked like a bouquet of roses in a box and this is the recipe she used ^. After the cookies were baked she'd wrap each one in red cello and put long sticks in them, wrapping the sticks in green floral tape and inserting silk leaves. I remember her saying she made all of her cookies from a cake mix in this manner.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 7:57pm
post #25 of 55

I can't wait to try these! Thanks!

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 8:00pm
post #26 of 55
Quote:

aauugghhh!!! my fault! my fault!

It's only 1/2 cup p.sugar in the batter, not one full cup! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I was reducing the recipe from my commercial recipe (I used a min of 6 cake mixes when I made a batch of these!) and I did the math wrong on the p.sugar!

I am SO sorry!!!

When I'd make these dough balls and freeze them, they wouldn't spread as much, but I'm betting my screw up in the measurement was a contributing factor!

Add'l note ..... when I take them out of the oven, I bang the cookie sheet on the counter to really flatten them.

NO not all your fault. I misread the amount of p sugar. I put in an entire pound.

I also might not have creamed the butter enough.

Good news, they have been tried out on 3 different people and they are still a hit. My adults wants my mistake drizzled with bitter chocolate, so hopefully a brand new cookie for everyone. I'll let you know after tonight's party when they will be consumed by all sorts of people.

MaryAnn

indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 9:25pm
post #27 of 55
Quote:

NO not all your fault. I misread the amount of p sugar. I put in an entire pound......Good news, they have been tried out on 3 different people and they are still a hit. My adults wants my mistake drizzled with bitter chocolate, so hopefully a brand new cookie for everyone.

One of our favorite family recipes was due to an accident. We were poorer than dirt so mom was famous for making meals outta nothing. One day she was cooking dumplings in a big pot of tomato juice (a.k.a. tomato dumplings). When putting in the pepper the lid fell off and the whole can of pepper got dumped in! icon_surprised.gif Since it was one of God's commandments that "thou shalt not waste food", we ate them. Took a lot of milk, but we did. She had to make them that way every time after that or we didnt' like them. Thus was born our "Hot and Spicy TOmato Dumplings!"

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 10:27pm
post #28 of 55

hi indy, i just made your lemon ones, but i didnt add any ps (i forgot), to the mixuture, however i did add some slivered almonds, the dough wasnt sticky at all.... a breeze to roll into balls, they spread nicely and they turned out wonderful!!! my dh almost finished the whole batch!!! thanks soo much for the wonderful recipie!!!!

indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 10:32pm
post #29 of 55

oh the almonds sounds great! Be sure to add the p.sugar on your next batch. That's what makes them really soft and heavenly!

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 10:38pm
post #30 of 55

will do!!!! thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%