Airbrush Questions - Santa Came Early This Year! :-)

Decorating By mlharvell Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 2:09pm by mlharvell

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 9

I just got an early Christmas present - an airbrush kit! icon_smile.gif SUPER PUMPED!! When the FedEx driver dropped it off, he said it needed to be refrigerated. I don't see anything on the box or on the contents that indicates it needs to be refrigerated. The colors are Amerimist. Do they require refrigeration? One other question - I've never used an airbrush before. Does anyone have any tips?

Merry Christmas!!

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 9

Go to www.howtoairbrush.com for a great turorial on airbrushing. I've never heard of airbrush colors needing to be refrigerated. Myabe he had your boxed mixed up with someone elses.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 9

I'm sooo jealous of you! I really want an airbrush system too! Have fun with it icon_biggrin.gif

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 9

Awesome! I got one for an early Christmas present too! But I bought my colors at the cake decorating store and they were not refrigerated. I kept them out for a week before I played with it last night and they were fine.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 9

I use Americolor which makes amerimist for the airbrush machines and I never refrigerate mine. Unless they've made something new, which should state on the bottle.
Hooking it up is the hard part, using it is easier. I start out with 10-15 PSI for bc of fondant regular colors. With the pearl colors or irridescent I put it up to the highest Psi mine has which is about 40, so it won't clog the tip.
Airbrushing any object is about the same as doing cakes, you just use food color....so, a really good website is www.howtoairbrush.com. Also, youtube. I practiced on art paper till I got fine lines, shading, etc. down. Have fun. I love mine.

mlharvell Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks, snocilla! Got any tips for a first time user?

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 9

I've only played with it once, and I just looked up online sites like the ones the other posters have recommended. I also practiced making lines and fades and such on a paper towel for a little while before putting it on the fondant. Mine also does not have PSI adjustments, and I haven't tried it with any pearls or irridescents.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 9

Practice on a coloring book.

mlharvell Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 9

Ooooooh! Great idea, Tiggy! Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%