Lightning Bolt Candy Mold??

Decorating By kathik Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 9:17pm by kathik

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:40am
post #1 of 7

I want to make candy lightning bolts for a cake I'm working on. Does anyone know where I might find one? Or how I might make one?

Thanks,
Kathi

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:18am
post #2 of 7

...moving this the Molds forum. icon_smile.gif

MYOM-Dominic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Dominic Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

I want to make candy lightning bolts for a cake I'm working on. Does anyone know where I might find one? Or how I might make one?

Thanks,
Kathi

Hi Kathik,

I would be happy to help you. Could you tell me how big you want the lightening bolts to be and what you want to make them out of once you have the mold made?. With this information, I will be able to give you suggestions that could solve your dilemma.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

kathik Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 7

Hi Dominic,

I plan to make them of isomalt. I would need some to "face" left and some right, and they should be 3-4" long (I think). Does this help?

Thanks,
Kathi

MYOM-Kathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Kathy Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 7

Hi, This is Kathy. I work with Dominic and may have run into you at one of the shows we attended. Dominic is knee-hi in chocolate right now making sculptures for one of the major cruise lines. I will be sure he answers all of your questions as soon as he is finished.

Thanks,
Kathy

MYOM-Kathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Kathy Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

Hi Dominic,

I plan to make them of . I would need some to "face" left and some right, and they should be 3-4" long (I think). Does this help?

Thanks,
Kathi

Kathik - The first thing you must do is find a positive or physical representation of the lightning bolts in order to have something to make a mold over. I suspect that you do not have anything available. So, you can get some fondant or gumpaste and roll it out and cut out the lightning bolts just the way you like them. Let the fondant/gumpaste dry, apply Seal-Dit and then press Silicone Plastique over them. Wait about an hour and you will be able to pour Isomalt Lightning Bolts all day.

Hope This Helps,
Dominic icon_smile.gif

P.S. You can also make the lightning bolts out of non-toxic polymer clay, bake it till hard and then apply the Silicone Plastique. You would not need Seal-Dit for the polymer clay.

kathik Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you!!!

Kathi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%