What's This Bride Fishing For? Kinda Long.

Business By _Jamie_ Updated 27 Dec 2009 , 6:39pm by Ruth0209

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:23pm
post #31 of 53

Funny! The only people who would possibly know if the flavors were wrong would be the bride and the mother. If that cake was good, nobody else in the room would care what flavor combos were in the cake. It was a beautifully presented cake! Sometimes i wonder why brides shop all over town looking for matching wedding invitations....no one else knows what the other folks' invitations look like and these same people have no idea what flavor cake she THINKS she ordered.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:49pm
post #32 of 53

Hmmmm......

I may be way off here but it sounds to me like the bride and her mother knew exactly what they were doing all along. I wouldn't be surprised if the caterer, decorator, etc also received some type of email. She probably changed her mind often in an effort to have a reason to complain in the end, but what she didn't bet on was the contract. Hence, the reason she didn't say anything to you about flavors during the last meeting. The email was most likely pre-typed and in a draft box in her emails.

From what we have been told about her she just hits me as someone who was trying to work the system in her favor to get her wedding as cheap as she could. By flat out asking for a refund, she would come off too forward so she is trying a more supple approach.

Again, I could be wrong but I have seen it before with people that you would least expect it from.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:56pm
post #33 of 53

She could just be an airhead who really didn't think about what she told you the last time that she changed her mind. Regardless, if you have it in writing in the contract, that's what you do. You're right, and I wouldn't even have offered her an anniversary cake for free if you did what it said in the contract.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:57pm
post #34 of 53

Heh heh....so Sunday morning probably went something like this:

Groom--come back to bed sweetie.
Bride--No! I have to e-mail the florist and complain about the petal that fell out of my bouquet.

Groom--can I fix you breakfast dear?
Bride--No! Just coffee! I have to e-mail the hall about the unfolded napkin at Unlce John's seat at Table 8.

Groom---Well, are you ready for lunch yet?
Bride--Shut up! I'm trying to remember which fork on the head table had water spots! Those aholes are gonna give us a refund! And where's my coffee?? I hate you! You never do anything for me! I want a divorce!

_Jamie_ Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:59pm
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

She could just be an airhead who really didn't think about what she told you the last time that she changed her mind. Regardless, if you have it in writing in the contract, that's what you do. You're right, and I wouldn't even have offered her an anniversary cake for free if you did what it said in the contract.

Oh yeah, it was completed to the TEE. And yeah, I probably didn't need to offer jack sh*&, but I was thinking at the time, let's go overkill with the generosity, so maybe she'll go away. It's like zero effort to make her a dimpy little 4" cake a year from now. And the chances of seeing her in a year from now? Slim to none.

costumeczar Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 10:16pm
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Oh yeah, it was completed to the TEE. And yeah, I probably didn't need to offer jack sh*&, but I was thinking at the time, let's go overkill with the generosity, so maybe she'll go away. It's like zero effort to make her a dimpy little 4" cake a year from now. And the chances of seeing her in a year from now? Slim to none.

True, true... But if she does show up be prepared for her to complain about the anniversary cake somehow!

_Jamie_ Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 10:18pm
post #37 of 53

She'll be wearing that cake.

costumeczar Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 10:25pm
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

She'll be wearing that cake.

Ha ha! I had one client who stood next to me while I was setting the cake up and told me how cute it was, etc etc, then called a week later to complain icon_confused.gif . I gave her nothing because I did everything as it was specified in the contract, and she obviously had time to complain in person. It was weird.

So anyway, here comes the anniversary, and dammit, she'd paid for a cake in advance. So she called to arrange it, and I told my husband later that she was going to be trouble. Sure enough, they picked it up, and two minutes later came back complaining that it was chocolate outside (which is what she asked for when she called to arrange the pickup.) They'd better not call me for another cake on the next anniversary, but I'll bet they do.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:18am
post #39 of 53

_Jaime_ the cake is gorgeous. Stand your ground.

_Jamie_ Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:31am
post #40 of 53

Thank you Loucinda!!

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:30pm
post #41 of 53

I am not on her side trust me I recently had one of her in my shop....But I had one "bride" write to me the morning after the wedding. saying the leaves were wrong and something else. Well we went back and forth for a few days. Finally I called her and said I want to sit and chat and go over her contract with her and the groom. Well as I am telling her what we are going to do she had no idea what I was talking about and that she was coming home from her hiking trip/honeymoom. So who the heck was emailing me.....her mom. Nice!!!! Oh well the problem was with the mom...the bride and groom were happy and got exactly what they wanted and no problems with it and actually sent me 2 more customers. The mom on the other hand she had a problem with everything on the cake and the wedding....not my problemicon_smile.gif

Then I had a crazy nut that ordered the Dora halloween themed cake...she was another crazy nut. She came to the shop and went through the pics. See the original Dora cake and loves it but wants it halloween theme. Great I can do that. We went through every detail flavors were vanilla and choco with italian buttercream. She comes and pays for the cake in 3 instalments fine, the cake was $125 so not a big deal. The first time she comes to order the cake she comes with a big loud mouth lady (turns out she the little girls godmother), the next time with a young lady that was nice and sweet the last time with her "baby daddy" (in her won words) to pick up the cake. When she comes back to complain that the cake tasted like coconut and it was not italian buttercream that it tasted like choco. Um not even close lady. The godmother hates coconut and turns out she has ordered cakes I think from every bakery in the area, she tells me oh last year when I ordered her cake from XYZ Bakery and for my baby shower the cake was ordered from ABC Bakery they tasted different. So I go on to tell her that everyone makes thing different and in a nice way asked her why she didn't go back to either of the two mention shops. "No I didn't like this from XYZ and that from ABC." So she tells me that the cake was not worth $125 (in her exact words) and that she wants at least half. I stood my grounds and didn't give her crap. She was not happy and tells me that she was going to tell everyone she knew that not to come to my shop. Oh well to bad for her.

On a side not a little vice inside me desided to call bakery XYZ and when I spoke with the manager/baker she knew her name and told me that I need to watch for her and the "Godmother" of the little girl they were nothing but trouble. They told me that when she does come back every now and then they are too booked to take any more orders for that time. That is a bakery that former President Clinton used when he would come to these area for vacation he actually went to visit it himself on one of the visits. It is a well known and very yummy shop to visit.

Sorry for the long story.

But these are just lesson learned. I think these are people you can really smell a mile away but we still get caught every now and then.

VIC

edited to fix a typo funnny one at that (hicking instead of hiking) lol.

Cake_Mooma Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:37pm
post #42 of 53

oh BTW the cake is beautiful I love the snowflakes. the cake is very modern, very elegant.

VIC

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:38pm
post #43 of 53

Cake_Mooma you have got to win hands down for crazy cake customers! icon_biggrin.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:27pm
post #44 of 53

No kidding, Mooma----yikes!!And thanks for the compliments.

AmandaKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKate Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:30pm
post #45 of 53

I don't understand why the MOB thought her comment about the snowflakes was necessary.....did she think that mentioning that there should have been more snowflakes would make you jump up and say "oh really?.....you think?......hmm.....ok let me just hurry back to my kitchen and whip up some more real quick. I'll be back in a jiffy with more!" icon_confused.gif

seriously......I honestly think there are people in this world (in this cake like mother like daughter) who just always have to have something to complain about.......they're never happy until they're unhappy!

If the bride keeps bringing up the fact that she mentioned[/b] to you something about her latest flavor choice.....I would just bring up the fact that she was so wishy washy on flavors the entire time that when you went over the final contract and she made no mention about the different flavors that you just assumed she had changed her mind AGAIN!

HA!.......unless of course she wanted you to remember every different flavor idea she had ever mentioned and incorporated all of them into the cake........i'm sure that would have been a piece off work! icon_twisted.gif

People are just stupid sometimes and they really make me mad with what they expect other people to do for them....

_Jamie_ Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:37pm
post #46 of 53

Lol--Amanda...yep, agree completely.I work with the biggest whiniest complainer I've ever met in my life. It's pathetic to see people manufacture their own misery. Ah, what can you do....be happy and hope it rubs off on them I guess.

Haven't heard from her again. Hopefully she sees where she made her mistake. icon_smile.gif

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:49pm
post #47 of 53

Thank goodness that she stopped harassing you. PS-love thoust signature icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:52pm
post #48 of 53

I don't sketch cakes, but I do "stick people cakes" on an excel spreadsheet with flavors and decorating instructions on that. I tell brides to look this over carefully, "....because this is the sheet I'm going to be looking at when I make your cake. Between now and your wedding, I'm going to be talking to a LOT of brides and I guarantee you that I will NOT remember this conversation! So if it's not written down, it's not happening!"

I reiterate this in the quote-email I send them after our meeting.

And the reason I say it and put it in writing is that this is the only meeting i have with brides. In another thread, someone mentioned "the final design meeting" and I thought "what the heck is that?" I work out all details the day of the sampling and I never see my brides until either the wedding (and even then it's questionable if I'll see them at all) or *IF* they hand deliever a payment, 2 weeks before the wedding. But 99% of the time, i never see them again.

_Jamie_ Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:37pm
post #49 of 53

Stick people ((snort snort))! icon_biggrin.gif Yup---I usually don't see them ever again either. Usually.

Cake_Mooma Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 7:47pm
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Cake_Mooma you have got to win hands down for crazy cake customers! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh I worked at an amazing cake shop out here and although they have amazing decorators they have the nuttiest customers ever, so I have a ton of weird stories to go on for days, lol, and now with my own shop I am seeing even more nutty people. I think there is a mold that they make these nutty people out of just for us "cakers" to deal with. LOL. If I ever find that mold I just want to smash it so no more nutties could ever be made, lol!!!!!

Vic

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 11:26pm
post #51 of 53

LOL! By all means, share the stories. We all enjoy them and like a good laugh!

d_michelle95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d_michelle95 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:01pm
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Mooma

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Oh I worked at an amazing cake shop out here and although they have amazing decorators they have the nuttiest customers ever, so I have a ton of weird stories to go on for days, lol, and now with my own shop I am seeing even more nutty people. I think there is a mold that they make these nutty people out of just for us "cakers" to deal with. LOL. If I ever find that mold I just want to smash it so no more nutties could ever be made, lol!!!!!

Vic

I too would love to hear all thses stories!! I could use a laugh for sure today...

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:39pm
post #53 of 53

It's a great cake, Jamie, and it sounds like you did what the contract said. Tell her to go pound sand. The anniversary cake was a nice gesture. I sure would not do more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%