What Do You Use To Imprint Your Fondant?

Baking By luv2bake6 Updated 26 Dec 2009 , 11:03am by linedancer

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:56am
post #1 of 12

There are some really great looking fondant covered cookies in the galleries where some impression word was done. Now i know about the impression mats, but there are some that ive never seen before and they do not look like a mat did it. What other methods are there?
Thanks!

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 5:08am
post #2 of 12

You can use stamps...the clear acrylic ones intended for scrapbooking. The ones mounted on wood blocks aren't safe, but the clear ones are. Usually you buy a clear plastic block and stick the stamps on it the way you want them to be, then when you're done you peel them off and put them back on the sheet of plastic they came on.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 12

I use a lot of patchwork embossers/cutters. They are more expensive, but I think the results are worth it. Some of them come in sets and that gives you lots to choose from. I also use about anything else I think will give me the results I want. Some of the specialty icing tips make great embossers. I use #105 and 106 frequently. They can make hair, fur, snowflakes, designs on boots... You just have to try things and see what works for you.

Happy embossing icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you so much. I'll check out the acryllic stamps.
Linedancer, which sets do you have?

linedancer Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 12

This is the first set I bought and I go back to it again and again. You can use it to do all sorts of things, just use your imagination:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=630851

I use these two quite a bit:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=630855

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=630866

I have several others, but these are the ones I use the most. Also watch the size, if you are using them for cookies. Some are really cute, but are too big.

luv2bake6 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 2:31am
post #6 of 12

the first one you suggested, i'm assuming that would be a good size for cookies right?

linedancer Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 12

Yes, the size is right for cookies. A couple of the pieces have two sizes, but both still good for cookies. All three of the sets are the right size.

With the blossom and leaves set, you can make easy fondant leaves. I roll my fondant, emboss the sheet with however many leaves I need, then cut the leaves with a small leaf shaped cutter. It veins the leaves, gives you a nice shape, and you don't have to pipe royal leaves.

I use fondant for almost every thing on my cookies.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 12

I tried using the PME Snowflake cutters on my poinsettia cake and it was a disaster!!! I almost had a heart attack because I thought I had ruined the cake. No imprint at all. It just made a hole the shape of the cutter and didn't emboss anything. I ended up cutting out the snowflakes and then sticking them in the holes. The cake turned out ok but I was disappointed.

I use Jennifer Dontz's fondant recipe and it makes a dense fondant so I was wondering if the Patchwork cutters would work better and leave an impression that you can see and not just the outline.

Thanks

linedancer Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 12

Peridot, I have the small PME snowflake cutter and it is indeed a cutter. I find you have to roll the fondant very thin and let it dry a bit before you can get nice snowflakes.

I always push the plunger up and down a couple of times, while it is still on the board, that makes an impression.

I think the patchwork cutters/embossers would work better. Having said that, I do mostly cookies and have not used them on cakes.

luv2bake6 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you linedancer!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you linedancer. I think my fondant was to thick to emboss, like you said fondant needs to be thin. Maybe I will try the Patchwork brand some time.

Thanks!

linedancer Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 11:03am
post #12 of 12

You all are welcome. I love fondant on cookies thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%