This Is So Much Easier Than That.... (Add To It)

Decorating By JuneBugBaby Updated 24 Dec 2009 , 4:11am by FlourPots

JuneBugBaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneBugBaby Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:05am
post #1 of 53

I am new to the cake baking world and have already made so many mistakes but also found a bunch of little things that have been AH HA moments. I have never taken a class although I've watched tons of videos online as well as gotten some great advice from those here on CC. But I was thinking today how great would it be to have a list of things that are helpful to new people. So I thought I'd make one! So please copy and paste my list and ADD to it with your own tips that will help the new cake bakers (as well as those who would like a few new tricks) out!!

1. It is so much easier to ice and decorate a bigger cake (such as a 12 in.) than a smaller cake (like a mini). When learning work on a bigger surface!

2. It is so much easier to use the cricut tool set when cutting out gumpaste than using things around the house.

3. It is so easier to create your fondant decorations days in advance and freeze them than to try and do it all in one day (expecially for those with children and have little time as is). icon_surprised.gif)

Please add your tips and tricks below!! Thanks for all who want to participate... These are just fun bits of advice and not all tips work as well for some than others. icon_biggrin.gif

52 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:28am
post #2 of 53

It's so much easier to use SPS than to cut dowels.

Why on earth would you freeze fondant decorations?

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:37am
post #3 of 53

It is sooooo much easier to decorate a cake/ cookies when you give yourself TIME to get it all done and allow for errors!

I'm wondering about the freezing fondant, as well! I have fondant flowers and decorations that sit for MONTHS and are fine!!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:45am
post #4 of 53

It's so much easier to color MMF if you microwave it first.

It's so much easier adding tylose to fondant to model figures and things, than making a separate batch of gumpaste and adding that.

It's so much easier making cookies with cutters than trying to cut around a template (no matter how chilled your dough is or how sharp your knife or x-acto is), I found this out a few days ago and will make my own cutter(s) if I have to before attempting that again.

It's so much easier to get a brown wood look if you start with yellow fondant as the base.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:04am
post #5 of 53

it is easier to roll out fondant if you pop it in the microwave for a few seconds first.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:13am
post #6 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Why on earth would you freeze fondant decorations?

yeah? icon_confused.gif

wouldn't you then have to deal with sweating? just make 'em and leave 'em out! or in a box.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:16am
post #7 of 53

It's so much easier to roll fondant with the RIGHT rolling pin (ie. large heavy wooden one with ball bearings in handles)

It's so much easier to get a smooth surface on fondant IF you spend the time getting the undercoat (ganache ALL THE WAY!!) right - it is absolute rubbish when people say that a thicker coat (or even two layers of fondant) will hide lumps and bumps - the fondant surface ONLY reflects what is underneath!

It's so much easier to torte a cake if you have a GOOD knife! or an Agbay!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:24am
post #8 of 53

It is so much easier to be an RN than a cake decorator...thank goodness my life does not depend on me making cakes to survive...lol..

It is easier to keep the decorating supplies you use the most in a handy spot and the things you use less in another area.

It is easier to ice a cake on a turn table or lazy susan type table.

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:26am
post #9 of 53

It's so much easier to ice a chilled or frozen cake

It's so much easier to mix a cake by putting wet ingredients in the bowl first.... you don't get dry ingredients stuck at the bottom, and you can see if you lose some eggshell

It's so much easier to make a FBCT than to try to draw something complex onto a cake

It's so much easier to use the viva or melvira method to smooth a cake than any other way

It's so much easier to use drinking straws or bubble straws instead of wooden dowels

It's so much easier to make black by starting with chocolate BC. ....and easier to make red by starting with dark pink icing.

It's sooo much easier to let your husband clean up the cake mess instead of doing it yourself!! icon_smile.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 5:06am
post #10 of 53

It's much easier to use bake-even strips for level cakes than leveling with a knife.

Piping gel pattern transfer method is easier if the gel has been piped and then allowed to dry. It leaves an impression and no gel. This also works great to reuse a pattern for lace designs on a buttercream cake.

Thread makes great temporary lines for keeping writing straight on a large cake.

Michele

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 7:53am
post #11 of 53

It is much easier to apply an even coat of icing with the icer tip #789 than it is to apply the icing with a spatula. And no need to crumb coat first!

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:03pm
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy37

It's sooo much easier to let your husband clean up the cake mess instead of doing it yourself!! icon_smile.gif

Here Here to that one icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Its so much easier to have all your ingredients assembled when making your cake batter.

Its so much easier when icing a cake to put a crumbcoat down first.

and last but not least.....

Its so much easier when baking a cake if the oven is ON!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:58pm
post #13 of 53

No tips
Freezing the fondant is recommended by Linda McClure in here dvd's about cricut use with gumpaste. She does it all the time. It keeps the gumpaste pliable until use to prevent cracking when applying it to a cake.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:09pm
post #14 of 53

It's SO much easier to keep your writing on your cake straight if you use a laser level (I got one on ebay for $2.74 WITH shipping! )

It's so much easier to clean as you go when decorating (keep sink of hot soapy water for stuff to soak as you use it...ie; spatulas,small bowls,tips,etc.)

It's SO much easier to put your decorating tips in hot soapy water (fully submerged) and pop it in the microwave for 5 minutes, drain, fill with clean water (no soap), repeat until water comes out clear....than it is to sit and scrub and prod each and EVERY little tip and coupler....and it always gets ALL the greasy residue off too!

It's so much easier to operate a cake business with awesome cake programs such as Cake Boss...........not sure how I'd operate without it!

It's so much easier to make and decorate cookies with royal icing ahead of time and then freeze between layers of wax paper and thaw the day before delivery! (this has saved me!!!)

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:55pm
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

It's so much easier to clean as you go when decorating (keep sink of hot soapy water for stuff to soak as you use it...ie; spatulas,small bowls,tips,etc.)

It's SO much easier to put your decorating tips in hot soapy water (fully submerged) and pop it in the microwave for 5 minutes, drain, fill with clean water (no soap), repeat until water comes out clear....than it is to sit and scrub and prod each and EVERY little tip and coupler....and it always gets ALL the greasy residue off too!

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

It's SO much easier to use SPS for stacking than to be a nervous wreck when delivering.

It's SO much easier to watch Sugarshack's DVD "Perfecting The Art Of Buttercream" than to spend years practicing and hoping to "find a method that works for you"!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:57pm
post #16 of 53

It is so much easier to let those extra pounds sneak up on you by eating a cake scrap here, licking the beaters there, than to take those extra pounds off! icon_redface.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:10pm
post #17 of 53

It is so much easier to ask the experts on CC than to spend days trying to figure it out on your own.

It is so much easier to use an extruder than to try to roll out those snakes of fondant by hand.

Sorry....that's all I've got right now.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:35pm
post #18 of 53

It's so much easier to do cupcakes.....

It's so much easier when you know what the receipent wants, versus "oh whatever"...

It's so much easier to buy fondant (fondariffic baby!)...

It's so much easier to deliver a cake when there's not a blizzard....

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:47pm
post #19 of 53

It's so much easier to make a cake when you love the design you're doing....

It's so much easier to cover a cake with the thinnest possible layer of fondant instead of a huge thick slab of it....

It's so much easier to stack a chilled cake, no smudges and fingerprints to cover up...

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:12pm
post #20 of 53

I know someone said it already but I firmly believe it is so much better since I found CC and all the wonderful people here that are all so willing to help with any type of problem you are having. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to everyone. Be safe, healthy and happy!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:42pm
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

It is so much easier to let those extra pounds sneak up on you by eating a cake scrap here, licking the beaters there, than to take those extra pounds off! icon_redface.gif

Ain't that the truth??!!!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:42pm
post #22 of 53

It's so much easier to make large batches of frosting and several cakes at once rather than making each item as you need it for a cake. I just freeze my cakes and frosting, and they're ready to go when I need them.

It's so much easier to just find a pattern online, and cut it with SCAL/cricut, than to find and buy specific cutters.

It's so much easier to just buy black and red fondant, rather than trying to get the correct shade with your own gel colors.

It's so much easier to cover your work surface with a piece of vinyl, so that clean up is a breeze after.

It's so much easier to put the kids to bed and work on a cake, rather than try to do a little bit here and there while they're awake.

And a HUGE ditto to it being much easier to just buy the Sugarshack DVDs to get the basics of buttercream, fondant, bows, and TT designs rather than to try to practice until you get it right on your own.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 6:50pm
post #23 of 53

So much easier to make smooth buttercream with hi-ratio shortening than with Crisco.

So much easier to make ribbons with the FMM ribbon cutter than with the crappy Wilton cutter!

So much easier to make use Chefmaster/Americolor black & red color than using Wilton!

So much easier to use a pasta machine rather than roll gp by hand!

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 7:16pm
post #24 of 53

It's much easier to mix all my flavorings together (butter, almond, and vanilla) into one container and measure out one amount instead of three separate amounts when mixing my icing.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 7:23pm
post #25 of 53

It is sssooo much easier to make you or the customers vision come to life if you did not procrastinate. I am guilty of this sometimes. When I do procrastinate it never goes the way that is planned. When I don't, everything is smooth sailing.

It is so much easier for me to just get up and make the darn fondant. mmf or gumpaste than to dread it; just to realize it takes hardly no time at all. Can you say PROCRASTINATION!!

It is so much easier to have all ingredients measured and separated before baking.

It is so much easier to have all piping bags prepped, opened and sitting in tall cups/glasses/pringle cans before making icing.

It is so much easier for me to get a smooth top and sharp edges using the upside down icing technique.

It is so much easier covering your board in advance (once you know your colors and theme)

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 7:58pm
post #26 of 53

(Echo) It is so much easier to just do it, than to procrastinate about it.

It is so much easier to clean up if you knead your fondant in a big roasting pan, rather than on the table or counter.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 8:17pm
post #27 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

It is so much easier to clean up if you knead your fondant in a big roasting pan, rather than on the table or counter.

Love this idea!!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 8:18pm
post #28 of 53

Ditto, ditto, ditto.....It's so much easier to put the kids to bed and work on a cake, rather than try to do a little bit here and there while they're awake. I do what I can while they are up (bake, cool, let cakes settle, make frosting), but I put them to bed and do the decorating while they are sleep. It's much more peaceful and I don't spend all my time wishing I had not accepted the order.

I agree, put down a sheet/tablecloth for easier clean up.

I've never worked with fondant, but I hear it's easier to color if you add your color to the melted marshmallow or to the flavor, BEFORE the sugar goes in.

JuneBugBaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneBugBaby Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 1:51am
post #29 of 53

great list guys! icon_biggrin.gif You all have great tips. I am going to use some of them for sure! Thanks to the poster who answered the question about freezing the fondant/gumpaste. I did get that from Linda McClure and I LOVE the tip! I make my decorations with my cricut put them on a plastic plate and put them in a zip lock. They are so easy to use when I am ready for decorating and they are all right there easy to see in the baggies! icon_biggrin.gif

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 2:38am
post #30 of 53

I never thought of the string thing or the laser to get a straight line for writing! Good tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%