Royal Icing Ornaments

Decorating By ShellsSweetsIndy Updated 24 Dec 2009 , 6:42pm by sherrycanary62

ShellsSweetsIndy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 12:57pm
post #31 of 40

Getting close Girls!!! Ok mixed the piping gel with my royal icing and had much much better results. this one only broke into two pieces this time. But I still think the balloon is just to big. I was driving my family crazy scouring the house for water balloons at 10 pm last night lol.

Kakeladi I think you are correct piping is not close enough and the balloon is to big. Sooooo I am off to the dollar store today to get a water balloon kit and try this one more time. Luckily this is only for a family gathering cake on Christmas so I still have time. Also going to try chocolate as well.

Question: I have never piped with chocolate before. Anything I should know beyond melting it?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!! this is why I started doing cakes it is sooo fun to experiment icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 1:39pm
post #32 of 40

well, melt it and then let it cool a little and it will thicken slightly (I prefer to pipe with it that way.........I use it for all of my tiaras) that way it won't spread once it's piped (since you can't get it stiff like buttercream or royal to keep it's shape)..........but other than that I love using it. I add shortening to my choc/candy melts when using them for dipping but when piping I just melt and use them so it's a thicker consistency....BUT if it's too thick and clumpy then add a little shortening (like 1/4 tsp. at a time) until it's smooth and the consistency you want.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 1:41pm
post #33 of 40

Shortening, smeared on then wiped off (you don't need a thick coat...just a residual layer of it) will not break down the royal icing. If the balloon is pierced near the knot and allowed to deflate slowly, the outcome is much better. Allow it to dry at least 24 hours(I've had success with less than 24 but most have turned out with at least 24(or thereabouts)) before piercing the balloon. Then, allow it to dry on the inside.

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:55am
post #34 of 40

Ok I found the baby ballons, smeared them with a light coat of shortening and pipped them. Letting them dry until tomorrow and will post pix if they tgurn out ok. Going to try the chocolate tomorrow as well.

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 12:48pm
post #35 of 40

Woo Hoo it worked!!!!!! Here is the results. I posted more in my photos. Thanks everyone for you support. Now if I can improve my piping style these will be awesome next year. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 12:59pm
post #36 of 40

they look SO cool!!!!!!! Are all 4 of these royal? They almost look like there wouldn't be a hole big enough to pull the balloon out of.........they look amazing!!!

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 1:12pm
post #37 of 40

TY icon_biggrin.gif. Yes they are all RI. The holes are on the bottom and about the size of a quarter or a little bigger.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:11pm
post #38 of 40

Great job!!! They are beautiful!

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:29pm
post #39 of 40

Here is the final product.
LL

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 6:42pm
post #40 of 40

those are absolutely stunning!!!! great job and great perseverance!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%