Icing A Cake Before Freezing It

Decorating By drowninginfondant Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm by Rose_N_Crantz

drowninginfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowninginfondant Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 5

Can you fully ice a cake and then freeze it? I know the groceries stores do it.

4 replies
Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 5

i dont think that you can to be honest. i think that the frosting will crack in the freezer. i used to wok in the bakery at hy-vee and wal mart here locally and i do not think that they froze the whole frosted cake. i do know how them are prepared and ewwww....i will never eat a store baught cake ever again!! lol!!!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 5

I did it once with a cake that didn't really matter too much (just made it for a church picnic, which was postponed due to rain)

As it thawed, the color started running down the cake and puddling on the board; fortunately, the cake was all one color (the cooler cake in my pics). If it had had two or more different colors, they would have bled into each other. It didn't really streak, but it didn't look its best, either.

It tasted fine, though.

I wouldn't recommend doing it with a cake you are going to sell ever!

drowninginfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowninginfondant Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 5

nfm

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 5

You can freeze it once it's frosted, but you have to be careful handling it because that is what will make it crack. I worked in a Sam's Club bakery and that was normal operation. To keep up with the volume, we had to make cakes ahead of time and freeze them. But if you're trying to be a custom bakery advertising fresh stuff, then I wouldn't consider freezing decorated cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%