Today's Weather Report: 100% Chance Of Cornstarch Storm!

Decorating By Sparklekat6 Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 8:22am by Jeep_girl816

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 13

Soooo, cornstarch: Friend of fondant, enemy of cake perfection!

Does anyone have any tips on cleaning up cakes when you are using cornstarch to roll out fondant and prevent sticking? I always have cornstarch everywhere! Yesterday I made a hiking cake and it looked like my poor hiker got caught in a cornstarch storm. I need to use it because it's too warm in my house.

Not to mention that fact that my lovely roommate thinks we need to have a fire at 5pm...on a clear day...IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. (We don't have winter here people!)

12 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 13

put a little crisco on a paper towel and wipe down the entire cake or figure, whatever is full of cornstarch

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:52am
post #3 of 13

I'll be honest--I've tried to understand the need to roll out on CS or PS, but I just don't get it.

I never roll out large pieces of fondant on CS, but I will put a slight dusting on top of and/or under a piece of fondant or gum paste if I'm using a really finicky or detailed cutter.

I put a smear of crisco on a piece of clear vinyl from WalMart, roll out, and I'm done with it.

I have absolutely nothing to clean up when I do this and I never have to worry that if the CS gets wet and then kneaded into the fondant that there will be an issue with fermentation during storage.

HTH
Rae

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:16am
post #4 of 13

Blakescakes, thats what I use to do, until it stuck fast terrible. I wonder if at some point the plastic or vinyl whatever it is(table covering)from walmart..gets old or weird or something.....I can't figure why it sticks..I wipe it with crisco and it was stuck fast. I tried the wilton spray for pans last time and that worked ok. Its a puzzle to me????

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:25am
post #5 of 13

I don't know, Madge.

I assume that you can get enough scratches on the vinyl surface, effectively dulling it, so that you'd have problems. Same thing happens with Teflon pans over time.

I always clean mine by wiping it down with antibacterial counter wipes, rinse with a damp paper towel, and re-apply the crisco when I need to use it again. I never use a sponge or abrasive on it.

I do get small nicks & cuts in it, over time, so I find that I replace it about once a year. I use the medium weight clear vinyl and usually keep it taped to my corian countertop with heavy duty clear packing tape.

HTH
Rae

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:04am
post #6 of 13

I use 100% vodka. I take a small paint brush and just wipe it down with the vodka.

madgeowens Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:11am
post #7 of 13

I just clean it with dish detergent and then super hot water, do you think that woould ruin it? Maybe I should try a new one and see what happens. Thanks

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:25am
post #8 of 13

I actually use a medium size soft paintbrush....and sweep the cornstarch or sugar off. I don't usually use cornstarch...it just feels too funny but powdered sugar is the same.

madgeowens Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 6:13am
post #9 of 13

oh sorry I was referring to the plastic mat of course and not the fondant icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 6:31am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leepat

I use 100% vodka. I take a small paint brush and just wipe it down with the vodka.

I do the same thing...or if I want the fondant to have a nice glow, I use Spray Pam, applied with a 1" brush. It totally whisks all of the cornstarch away and really warms up the colors so they look lovely and rich.

I use cornstarch on my vinyl mat because it makes for MUCH less friction while rolling the fondant, which makes it much less painful for my herniated disk. I've also never once had a problem with fondant fermenting, but I store all leftover fondant in vacuum-sealed bags.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 6:34am
post #11 of 13

If you have an airbrush you can blow it off. Maybe a hairdryer put on high without the heat would work as well.

HTH

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 6:39am
post #12 of 13

I have found that vodka through the airbrush is far, far less effective than brushing the cake down with vodka or Pam/canola oil....and you really don't want to hit your fondant with heat, esp. with BC or ganache underneath.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 8:22am
post #13 of 13

I wipe it down with a bit of Crisco on a paper towel (you should have seen my Raccoon house warming cake before I did that, it looked like they were hibernating in the winter there was so much cs and ps all over it) My wilton mat finally became pretty much unusable, it wasn't great to start with but now it's just crap and EVERYTHING was sticking to it horribly so I used about a gross of cornstarch and powdered sugar and the cake magically looked good when it was done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%