What Would You Do ????

Decorating By creations Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 3:44am by MrsNancyB1

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 21

Ok i gotten a call for a customers aunt and she was calling on behalf of her friend whom would like a WEDDING CAKE for DEC 31 to feed 50 people 3 tier cake white and pearl , top two tiers round and bottom square and she can ONLY PAID 100.00 ............. icon_confused.gif so i told her to ill get back to her . seriously my prices are set who out here would do it for 100.00 at this request I just want to hear everyones opinion on this to me this is some funny thing a 100.00 dollar wedding cake hahhahhhaha icon_cry.gif laughing in tears lol

20 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 21

3 tiers for 50 people would be awfully small tiers. I would tell her what I could do for $100 and if your prices are more then $2/serving I would send her to WalMart.

creations Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 21

lmao my price is 4.25 oer slice with fondant covering i just explain to the customer VERY SIMPLE cake simple flavoring 150.00 anything extra will be more charged on it so im waiting lol thanks

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 21

The smallest cakes I'll work with are 6/8/10. So a 6/8 round + 10 square will serve 12/24/50 = 86 servings times my $3.50/serving = $301. Even at a give-away price of $2/serving, she's looking at $175.

What are Hostess cupcakes running these days .... $1.29/for a package? And she wants a custom designed wedding cake for $1? icon_confused.gif

What would I do? I'd send her to Walmart.

It's perfectly ok to tell someone "You can't have a 3 tier cake to serve 50". I've done it. Now TECHNICALLY you can .... but not if you want me to make it. Because there's a PITA charge for trying to screw around with anything smaller than a 6" cake.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

What are Hostess cupcakes running these days .... $1.29/for a package? And she wants a custom designed wedding cake for $1? icon_confused.gif

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

TTran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TTran Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 21

"there's a PITA charge for trying to screw around with anything smaller than a 6" cake"

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

creations Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 21

@indydebi hahahhah i totally agree , well the customer bought it she will paid for 150 forthe cake , I told her it would the mostl simplist cake ever anything more I would charge her extra so basically its my cake lol. im not gettingthe topper and its opnly 5mins away from my house, its one of those justice of the peace wedding nothing over VERY under budget . PLUS I NEED TO BE A HARDER ASS lol.

ambernd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambernd Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 21

Even 3 tier cakes at walmart start at $140. I only charged $102 for my first wedding cake and then I saw wal mart charged. And I was like holy crap I'm cheaper than walmart? Wont make that mistake again!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambernd

And I was like holy crap I'm cheaper than walmart?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That is funny!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

What would I do? I'd send her to Walmart.

Genious!...Go to walmart and stack Hostess cakes! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 21

I'm just curious, what are the sizes of your tiers that you will be making. I'm just having a hard time figuring out 3 tiers with bottom square and the two top round to only serve 50.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:38pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adevag

I'm just curious, what are the sizes of your tiers that you will be making. I'm just having a hard time figuring out 3 tiers with bottom square and the two top round to only serve 50.

6, 8 square, top use a 4" round. The bottom two get you your 50, but ya know....servings aren't ever gonna fall on exact number needed. Most times. I'm doing this exact setup tonight for a wedding. Bride wanted her dang "take home" on the cake.....arrrgggh.

_Jamie_ Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:41pm
post #13 of 21

And, a 4"6',8" round tiered cake is adorable....teeny cute little things! I love doing these. Serves about 42. My avatar shows the top part of a 4 on a 6.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:45pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

And, a 4"6',8" round tiered cake is adorable....teeny cute little things! I love doing these. Serves about 42. My avatar shows the top part of a 4 on a 6.

I love 4, 6, 8 cakes. The cupcake-themed chocolate MMF one in my photos was a 4,6,8. I think the finished product came out well, and the sizes were pretty easy to work with.

_Jamie_ Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:47pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB1

Quote:

I love 4, 6, 8 cakes. The cupcake-themed chocolate MMF one in my photos was a 4,6,8. I think the finished product came out well, and the sizes were pretty easy to work with.

That cake is adorable!!!

tonedna Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:57pm
post #16 of 21

I have done them 4, 6, 8 but the work aint worth $100. The do look adorable!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:59pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Oh yeah....mine ain't $100, that's for sure! icon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 9:59pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Oh yeah....mine ain't $100, that's for sure! icon_lol.gif

It sure doesn't look like it is!!! icon_lol.gif
I would have ring your neck! tapedshut.gif
Edna icon_lol.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:00pm
post #19 of 21

Hee hee.....I'd wring my own neck!! Been there..done that!

tonedna Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:54pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:

Hee hee.....I'd wring my own neck!! Been there..done that!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:44am
post #21 of 21
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB1

Quote:

That cake is adorable!!!

Thanks Jamie! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%