A Thought On Smbc....a Fridge Issue Thought

Decorating By Larkin121 Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 8:17pm by Mike1394

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, ok. I know the debate on fridge or not for IMBC and SMBC rages on. I use SMBC and always have put it in the fridge mostly out of extra caution... BUT, the other day it occurred to me...

Aren't marshmallows made in the same way? I've made homemade marshmallows before, and they have egg whites that are whipped and then a hot sugar mixture is poured in. An Italian meringue if you will. The only thing added to this that is not in IMBC is gelatin... and of course you aren't adding butter.

So far as I can tell, the argument for refrigeration has been because of the egg whites. But if marshmallows are made the same way, and I've never read to refrigerate the marshmallows, then what is the difference? I know that with IMBC some say because you can't guarantee the eggs hit 160 degrees that the bacteria may not be killed... but with SMBC (at least my version) it is heated to 160 degrees in the water bath. So.

Am i on to something with this marshmallow theory? Or am I completely off?

OH and I also was just reading in Bakewise (a baking science book) about how using a small portion of shortening in either of this icings makes them stable enough to use on a cake that is served in hot weather or left in hot rooms... which seems to also imply the author is not concerned with leaving the icing out. She doesn't say, "But be sure not to leave out for more than 2 hours." You know? Just all has me thinking.

ETA: Still thinking about this all morning - wanted to add... royal icing that is made with meringue powder does not need refrigeration either... and meringue powder, when added to water, is just pasteurized egg whites... which is the same thing as SMBC where eggs have been heated to 160 degrees. Yes?

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 4

I've made marshmallows but don't remember using egg whites, actually I know I didn't because then my mom wouldn't have eaten them. So I guess maybe it depends on the recipe you use?

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 4

Ah, interesting. I have several recipes, all with egg whites. So I searched it on google without egg whites. Came across a family site with a recipe using egg whites but it said if you are concerned about raw egg whites for kids to try finding one without them... BUT even with that, it did not say to refrigerate as a safety issue, in fact it says to leave out overnight to dry.

Again, it seems the issue with egg whites seems to be whether they get fully cookied (killing the potential bacteria) and not with whether they are in the fridge (in recipes high in sugar, of course).

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 4

I prfer to refridgerate. I think it's safer. As for bakewise thumbsdown.gif My IMBC has some HR in it, butter still melts when warm.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%