Advice On Making A Sphere (Baseball) Shaped Cake! Please!

Decorating By ChandelierCakeChick Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 8:53pm by jenniboo

ChandelierCakeChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChandelierCakeChick Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:26am
post #1 of 6

I am making a baseball shaped cake and i'm not sure if i just carve away at my layers of cake and just secure them with dowels? help please!! asap! thank you thank you thank you

5 replies
aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:17am
post #2 of 6

I usually make my balls - bball, soccer etc with the ball pan. It is a spherical pan that you bake each side and it creates a whole ball. I do dowel through the middle for extra support.

Have not carved a ball before.

good luck

Dee in Az

masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:19am
post #3 of 6

yeah, I don't think it would be easy to just carve a sphere out of cake.. a large one anyway... your best bet is to find a ball pan. Michael's or Hobby Lobby might carry one... or your nearest cake supply store...

Your other option is to use a round Pyrex dish to bake your cake in.. I've done this myself... then you just bake each half of the sphere and then stick them together... definitely use supports!

ChandelierCakeChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChandelierCakeChick Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 6

thank you! icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 6

I just did a basketball cake with two 8" rounds, two 10" rounds, and a 6" round. I stacked the 8", then a 10", then doweleld that. Then a board, another 10' on top of that, and an 8" and the 6" on top of that. I carved the sphere shape, it was pretty easy (Just don't cut off a lot at once, do it bit by bit.) I didn't carve the bottom 8" layer, it was the support of the entire thing.

Since the bottom was the 8" round it wasn't perfectly spherical, and I put a fondant baketball jersey wrapping around it to disguise the base. I don't think I would go much bigger than that with it, it made me kind of nervous delivering it even though it was pretty solid.

jenniboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniboo Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 6

When I made a baseball cake for my sister a few months ago I used the Wilton sphere pan, which I bought at Michaels. I also baked a rectangular cake and carved it in the shape of homeplate. I cut off just a small bit of the bottom section of the "baseball" to get it flat....stacked it on top of the "homeplate"....and added a dowel rod for support. I used BC to ice the plate and then added graham cracker crumbs to make it look "dirty" like a baseball field would be.
Good luck and hope this helps!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%