Cake In Shape Of An Oyster With Pearl Inside

Decorating By morganop Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 7:48pm by angelakl77

morganop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganop Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 12:41am
post #1 of 5

Has anyone ever done this before? I'm making a bridal shower cake in Feb., and it is an oyster roast. We thought the cake shaped like an oyster with a big pearl inside would be great. Any ideas how to pull this off?
Thanks for any suggestions!

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:18am
post #2 of 5

You're going to have to carve! Get a pattern and make it the right size for the cake. Then you're going to have to carve little wavy things for the shell. Maybe you could use RKT for the top half. Because you're going to have to use dowels to hold the top open. But I wouldn't have it super open - just enough to see the pearl.

Hope this gets you started until someone else can come along and help.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 3:14am
post #3 of 5

Just a thought, maybe making a large clam shell from a plastic clam shell bowl of gumpaste and make the cake be the pearl from a ball cake pan. Cover the pearl cake with fondant and super pearl luster dust.

www.gigaweb.com/products/view45027/plastic-clam-shell-bowl.html
Hamsquad

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelakl77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelakl77 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with HamSquad~ I was thinking of making a cake like this as well for an Oyster Feed, and that's what I had in mind. I also thought I'd use fondant for the oyster meat under the pearl and put some clear piping gel over it to make is look nice and slimy icon_wink.gif Please post pictures of what you end up doing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%