Cleaning Piping Bags

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 2:50am by SugarFrosted

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,

when your piping buttercream how do you get your nylon piping bags really clean? I looked at the disposable ones but for my cupcake shop they are going to work out at about £15 a week which is a bit expensive. At the same time, if i have to use them I will but if there is a way of getting the nylon ones really good and clean then id prefer to use them.

Thanks!!!

11 replies
saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 12

I am just a hobbyist but I throw them in the top rack of my dishwasher--works for me.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 12

Turn them completely wrong side out and they wash up just fine.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Exactly what Debi said!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 12

..........indydebi wrote:
Exactly what Debi said!.......

I also agree. Turn them inside out & throw them in the dishwasher!
If you don't have a DW, scrub them w/straight detergent and some kind of rough/tough scrubber (plastic netting ball etc); rinse well.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 12

I switched to the plug/plastic wrap method inside my bags - MUCH less and much easier cleaning

Here's the link from the How Do I forum
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588591.html

Once I take the plug out I just turn them inside out to get out the coupler and tip and wipe them clean or throw them in the dishwasher

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:44am
post #7 of 12

I turn them inside out and wash with super hot water and Dawn dish detergent...it "cuts grease out of your way" icon_biggrin.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 3:07am
post #8 of 12

Yes, scalding hot water is the key here. Melts the grease right off.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 3:56am
post #9 of 12

Turn inside out, wash in hot water w/ Dawn dish soap. Easy peasy. icon_biggrin.gif

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:09am
post #10 of 12

Cheers everyone, i think my water wasnt warm enough and my hubby had been doing my washing up recently to help out and hadnt really got the grease out so I was starting to worry about the cost of disposables!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:16am
post #11 of 12

Inside out, then into the dishwasher.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:50am
post #12 of 12

I use disposable bags for colors, but for applying base buttercream with the icer tip, I use those 18" regular bags. I usually have 4 or 5 at a time to wash. I used to wash them in the dishwasher, but over time, the seams began to degrade from the bleach in the detergent. Also, they sometimes sort of flew all over the place inside the dishwasher.

First, turn the bags inside out and rinse under very hot water to remove most of the grease that's left. Then half-fill (or less) a 2 gallon bucket with the hottest water possible and a big squirt of Dawn. The bags go into the hot Dawn water. Then, using a plastic potato masher, stir and agitate up and down about 50 times. Let the bags sit in the hot water for about 20 minutes. Dump the soapy water and repeat if necessary. Then rinse twice in the bucket, and once individually under hot running water.

The bags then go onto a plastic shoe rack (the kind with loops on top to put the shoes on, purchased for that purpose) . The big bags sit upright nicely when put over two loops at once. This sits on my kitchen counter when in use, with a towel under it to catch the drips. It disassembles to store.

Sorry for the length. Over-explaining for clarity is a leftover from my days as an ER nurse...brevity has never been a strong talent of mine. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%