To Go To School Or Not?

Decorating By fabray13 Updated 17 Dec 2009 , 4:42pm by -K8memphis

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 4

i have been thinking about enrolling at the art institute of pittsburgh baking and pastry program. i am pretty good at teaching myself techniques and such. i would like to learn more. this program offers business classes so i would be prepared to have my own shop one day (which is my ultimate goal). any thoughts? do you think it is worth it?

3 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 4

There have been a number of threads about this in the past year or so. If I recall correctly, the recurring points were:

1. Business courses were just as important as pastry arts courses for people who plan to go into business.

2. Education is never a bad thing. But only you can decide if it's worth your time and money to get the degree/certificate.

3. Practical experience is often more valuable than classroom time.

4. There is no right or wrong on this.

If I can locate any of the threads, I'll post them. Where is JanH, the wizard of lost threads?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 4

It all depends on what your goals are. If you just want to do cakes there is no need to go. If you want to learn the whole dessert enchilada then yes you should go.

Now that being said. The Art inst is the biggest culinary ripoff since LCB. You will never be able to get a job to pay back tution, NEVER.

Find a community college that is ACF certified.

Mike

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Now that being said. The Art inst is the biggest culinary ripoff since LCB. You will never be able to get a job to pay back tution, NEVER.

Find a community college that is ACF certified.

Mike

I could not agree more. Yes yes yes yes yes etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%