Leather Effect

Decorating By venuscakes Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 6:31pm by bakingatthebeach

venuscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venuscakes Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:18am
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a good leather effect on sugarpaste.

Thanks
Amanda

13 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 14

I would love to know also TIA

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 14

I did a western cake and used like a cocoa powder "paint" with a sponge to get the effect...you can look in my photos if you like.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 14

if i am not mistaken.. countrykitchensa.com....sells an impression mat for leather effect.. check it out..hth

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 14

For some reason I want to say that someone once told me to roll it out on cocoa powder. I've never tried it but if you have a bit of chocolate fondant you could always try it?

tatorchip Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I did a western cake and used like a cocoa powder "paint" with a sponge to get the effect...you can look in my photos if you like.

icon_redface.gif I must still be half asleep because I couldn't find it and I sure would love to see it. Do you remember which page it is on

TexasSugar my daughter gave me some fondant scraps from the three cakes she made (for me to practice with) and one bag was the chocolate fondant. I will try it thanks for the tip thumbs_up.gif

thanks icer101 will check those out icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

icon_redface.gif I must still be half asleep because I couldn't find it and I sure would love to see it. Do you remember which page it is on

TexasSugar my daughter gave me some fondant scraps from the three cakes she made (for me to practice with) and one bag was the chocolate fondant. I will try it thanks for the tip

Here it is...sorry I should have narrowed it down for you, not fair to make you search! icon_smile.gif
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=80778

tatorchip Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 14

kitagrl that is an awesome cake. I for sure put in favs and I love the whole cake, I would have it framed and put on my wall in my front room if I had made one that awesome. lol

tatorchip Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by venuscakes

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a good leather effect on sugarpaste.

Thanks
Amanda

I am so sorry for jumping in and hogging your thread icon_redface.gif

Kitagrl Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 14

Aw thanks Tator...

aDBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aDBakes Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:47am
post #11 of 14

Hi, I'm doing a leather purse cake right now and I needed a leather impression also. What I ended up buying at the craft store was a regular piece of scrapbook paper that was already embossed as "football" leather.

After I rolled out my fondant I pressed the paper onto the piece I was using and it worked perfectly.

sarahd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahd Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:43am
post #12 of 14

When I made the leather jacket in my photos I just crumpled up a piece of wax paper and used that. Or you can use plasctic wrap. It takes more time that way but it worked in a pinch.

venuscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venuscakes Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 9:21am
post #13 of 14

Thanks for all the tips everyone

Sure I will be able to get a good effect with all those ideas!

Amanda

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:31pm
post #14 of 14

In my pics is a suitcase cake, I first kneaded cocoa powder in the MMF then after I brushed cocoa powder over the top with a medium size brush to give it a worn look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%