Unusual Non-Cake Tools

Lounge By chelleb1974 Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 7:48am by JanH

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:29am
post #1 of 4

I don't know if there's a forum topic about this, but I used the search to look, so I apologize in advance if there is one and I didn't see it.

I found this out totally by accident tonight.

I needed orange zest for some truffles I am making, and found a box grater that I have and thought it would be fine. Went to the store, bought what I needed (including the oranges to zest), and meant to look at the zester/graters they sell (like you would use for nutmeg).

Well, I got home and of course forgot to look at it to see if what I already had would work. Also forgot some other ingredients too, lol. My mom offered to go out to the store and get them tomorrow, and I asked her if she would look for the grater thing to see if it looked like what we have.

I was trying to explain to her what it looked like, and happened to pick up a Ped-Egg that was on the kitchen table that I bought awhile ago.

I'll preface this with saying, I opened it to look at it when I bought it, but have not used it on my feet yet, so it was still brand new. I looked at it and thought "hey, that kinda looks like what I was thinking of". I grabbed one of the oranges and 'zested it' with the Ped Egg. It worked perfect!!!!! I bought the Ped Egg at Christmas Tree Shop for $5, which I'm sure is way less than the one I was gonna look at in the store, lol. So, I washed the Ped Egg in the sink and am going to use that to zest the oranges tomorrow icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:51am
post #2 of 4

Very Resourceful .

I just saw non-brand ped-eggs at the 99cent store. I'll have to pick one up for zesting.

Thanks for sharing.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:19am
post #3 of 4

Thank you. I used it today and it was fantastic! A bonus is the orange zest being collected in the Ped Egg, lol.

Now I have to go buy one to actually use on my feet, lol.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:48am
post #4 of 4

Pretty darn clever. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%