Key Lime Cake - What Kind Of Filling?

Decorating By j_arney Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 5:25am by KelsiJewel

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making my sister's wedding cake and she wants two layers to be key lime. She has me making a lot of practice cakes so I can keep tweaking the recipes. The first practice had cream cheese icing and the same icing as filling. This time I'm thinking about using a lime curd in the middle. I need to taste it once I buy it just in case it's too tart. Should I mix 1/2 lime curd and 1/2 cream cheese icing so it's not too tart? Are there any ohter filling ideas that you think would be good?

Thanks!!

9 replies
loulou758 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou758 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 10

I recently made a key lime flavored cake and used rasperry filling. Sounds like an odd combo but trust me it was SO good!! I've never tasted lime curd so I'm not sure how tart it is. Good luck with whatever you decide!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 10

I did a key lime wedding cake a couple of months ago with coconut buttercream filling. Got rave reviews. Probalby one of my favorite combos to date.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 10

I LOVE lime curd! To me it's not too tart or sweet to use straight. But you could whip it up with whipped cream to lighten it up.

datalore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
datalore Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 10

I usually use my key lime pie filling recipe baked with out a crust. When it cools, I lighten it by folding in whipped cream- tastes great!

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 10

Lime curd is good with a keylime pie. I like a cream filling too. The combination reminds me of keylime pie with whipped cream. YUMMY!

I sure miss the Florida Keys!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 10

I've made the key lime cake and then to fill - I put a thin coat of white chocolate BC on both layers, a good stiff white Chocolate BC dam and filled with key lime curd. I iced both cut sides to keep the curd from soaking into the cake. Frosted with white chocolate BC. I wasn't happy with the recipe I used for the BC at the time, but have since come up with a much better one where the key lime doesn't over power it. I now use Sugarshack's BC with White Chocolate Mocha creamer as the liquid, and added 2 melted white chocolate bars (for 4 cups shortening and 4 lbs PS). Haven't tried my new recipe with lime, but it works very well with lemon.

WildSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WildSugar Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:44am
post #8 of 10

I just made a key lime cake for a wedding cake tasting. This is the recipe i use for filling:

1 box (4 serving size) vanilla instant pudding
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup fresh key lime juice or regular lime juice
4 drops of green food coloring
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

It's SO tasty! I have some leftover in my fridge and i keep eating it straight out of the container! I like to thicken it up with a little more pudding mix, but that's just me. If i use real key limes i like to add some zest too.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:54am
post #9 of 10

Lime curd + lime merinuge buttercream

lime curd+ raspberry

Lime curd + amaretto meringue buttercream

Lime curd and chocloate truffle

KelsiJewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KelsiJewel Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:25am
post #10 of 10

I made a lime cake for a christmas party for a local coffee and smoothie shop and I got the idea for the filling from a lime ricky (which is one of their most popular drinks) I put a grape filling in the middle using just cool whip and a grape jello packet it turned out great! Sounds a little odd but the combination was surprisingly good! Hope I've helped! ' icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%