Ideas For A Tricky Baby Shower Cake?

Decorating By vagostino Updated 16 Dec 2009 , 9:03pm by cylstrial

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 9

I have to make a baby shower cake for the teacher's in my son's class. They are BOTH pregnant. One is african american and the other one is caucasian. I never really pay attention to those things but in this case i don't know what to do? Should I address the ethnicities by making two babies/pregnant mothers etc? one caucasian the other one african american?
Or do you have any other baby cakes ideas that don;t involve babies or pregnant ladies?

I don't want anybody to get offended one way or the other....

By the way, the cake is for the celebration in the classroom so is not like i can make two cakes for them to take home.

8 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 9

Ouch, that is tough!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 9

I would just make a general themed cake in teal greens or pale lavender or yellows since you don't know the sex of the babies and you don't really want to bring race into it either...There are many great Baby shower cakes here on CC!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 9

I would just do a cake with a clothesline going around the side with onesies hanging from it, in neutral colors, and then put two pairs of mini gumpaste booties on top, one pair for each mom to save if she wants to icon_biggrin.gif

Teddy bears would be cute too.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 9

yeah, there are tons of things you can:

-green stroller
-stork
-baby bottle
- I like the idea of the clothesline

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 9

Baby booties or baby Converse shoes look really cute on a cake.

sugarartist05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarartist05 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 9

I am a social worker and a cake decorator. Acknowledging ethnicity is very important. Check my website mayrascustomcakes.com and see my "special deliveries" cake. This was for two co workers, one Caucasian and one African american. I did the two babies one of each ethnicity and the stork, clothsline etc. Everyone loved it. You can also do a silhouette of two pregnant women if you like. Good luck

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone! I was thinking of cakes with babies but you are right...there are a lot of cakes that don;t have babies...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 9

Yeah - I would definitely just go with a normal baby shower cake and leave race out of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%