Is There A Way To Make Stained Glass Effect Without Tons Of

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 16 Dec 2009 , 10:00pm by 7yyrt

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 17

piping gel on the cake?? I made this cake below a year or so ago and outlined in black and then filled in with piping gel and the piping gel was so nasty (I didn't eat the cake, and there were no complaints) I tasted some of the piping gel when I was making it and it was so gross....that can't taste good on the cake!!!

I have another stained glass cake to make for Friday and I'm worried about using tons of piping gel for the effect because it's going to be served to a bunch of kids and while my pastor didn't complain about the taste of the piping gel, KIDS MIGHT! I want it taste awesome AND look awesome and as realistic as possible.

Here are my thoughts: colored corn syrup? But then would that be too sticky sweet??

Or what about doing the stained glass like an fbct and then put it on the cake and pop the whole cake in the fridge/freezer until nice and firm and brush a very thin layer of clear piping gel over the already colored photo? Not sure if that would work or not...is there anyone that's tried it that way?
Every cake I can find says they "filled in with piping gel" which means there was LOTS of it on the cake..I DON'T want that!
Please Help!!!!!!

TIA
LL

16 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 17

Did you really find it nasty? Hmm I didn't think it had that much flavor.

Anyway have you thought about brushing it on the cake so its a thinner layer? (Fondant, anyway) And not piped in a glob?

I guess I'd just experiment with corn syrup or whatever else...technically I guess you could make a plaque in your design with isomalt or something...sounds like alot of work though!

Have fun...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 17

On LadyCakes there was a method like color flow where they used corn syrup mixed with powder sugar and maybe water. You outlined in buttercream then flooded the area with the colored mixture. It stayed translucent like piping gel does, but I want to say it also set up a little bit as well.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 17

You could use a nubbly effect and crush jolly rancher type candy and layer it in like a mosaic.

You could flavor the piping gel--I've never ever done this--I don't know why I've never done it-- but test it first--I'd try a butter flavor Lorann oil first see if it will mix in correctly--or a fruit flavor wouldn't be bad would it? I don't know why it wouldn't mix in well but I haven't tried it.

Stained glass ideas for you.

KHalstead Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 17

thanks guys............the piping gel has little flavor...but seems I don't know...chemical or something...maybe it's the smell (reminds me of the stuff they put on your belly when they do an ultrasound ) so the thought of eating it kinda grosses me out!

I can't go TOO elaborate..it's for a 1/4 sheet cake, of which I only charge $20...so I don't want to make it too time consuming.

I'm going to try to flavor some piping gel and then maybe just use a nice thin layer

I will have to look into the powd. sugar and cornsyrup...I know there was an actual name for that type of icing, just can't remember it right now.

I remember there was someone on here that did a strawberry shortcake or something with it..hmmm.......
Thanks for the ideas, I may wind up combiningg them all LOL

KHalstead Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 17

I think that's my answer........it's called "run in sugar icing technique" only problem is........................there are tons of photos of the technique here but nobody ever says HOW to mix the icing! lol

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 17

I've done several stained glass piping gel cakes where the design was on the side of the cake. It was then that I realized how LITTLE piping gel is really needed! I was worried about it sliding down the cake, but just a smear was all it took. I made sure I added enough color to the gel so a little went a long way. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 17

Thought it might be a good idea to post the cake so you could make your own judgment. icon_smile.gif
LL

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I think that's my answer........it's called "run in sugar icing technique" only problem is........................there are tons of photos of the technique here but nobody ever says HOW to mix the icing! lol

I was reading your post above thinking oh oh that is it, and as soon as the words run in sugar came to mind I saw the next post. Yep that is it.

And wouldn't you know that is one of those terms that you search and get every thing but what you want. Which is usually my luck. I found the below recipe for a cookie glaze and I'd think that it could work. I'm not sure how translucent it is, but if you used less sugar it would probably be more if you needed it to be. It would be worth a try anyway?

For the glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar

1 tablespoon corn syrup

2 tablespoons water

KHalstead Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 17

thanks texas...........I just mixed up a little smudge of corn syrup with a pinch of powdered sugar and added a drip of water (I'm soooooooo turning into my grandmother when I bake) and added coloring and kinda brushed it out in a thin layer on some cardboard to test it........I'm curious about how it sets up, will it be hard to cut, how will it taste etc. It's definitely the look I'm going for (so far, it's nice and shiny like the piping gel)..............oh and another reason I didn't want to use the piping gel is that I don't have any, and my only supply for it with this little notice is the stuff you get already colored at the grocery store and I'm not looking to dump that much money into this cake...like I said, it's a $20 cake...however I will NOT make a cake that doesn't have my ALL into it....regardless of how small and cheap it may be, I don't want to put out a cake that is less than standard for me (not that my cakes are that great, but I at least "try" when I decorate them all lol)

KHalstead Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 17

Diane...........forgot to add that your cake is GORGEOUS!!!!!

How did you make the cross? soooo amazing!!! Did you use a projector for the writing? Looks SO good!!

DianeLM Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Diane...........forgot to add that your cake is GORGEOUS!!!!!

How did you make the cross? soooo amazing!!! Did you use a projector for the writing? Looks SO good!!

Thanks!

Don't you love that quill cross? It's not my original idea, so I'm not being cocky. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I extruded thin strips of fondant from my clay gun and formed each section of the cross separately. The heart medallion covers the intersection.

Thank for the kind compliment on my handwriting. It's one of my few natural talents. Although, nowadays, where everything is typed, I can barely write my name before my hand cramps up!

KHalstead Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 7:27pm
post #13 of 17

I love it!!!!! I really need to get a good extruder, I have that stinky makins one that you have to push and it hurts my hands so BADLY!!!

Love that cross!!
Ok, so you're tellin me that you wrote that freehand?? CRAZY good!!!!

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 8:10pm
post #14 of 17

I don't know if this helps but I've made cookies buy cutting out he middle of a cookie and filling it with cruhsed life savers before baking and it has turned out pretty good. The life savers melt and form your glass.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 8:26pm
post #15 of 17

Here is a link to homemade piping gel - it has a 10/10 rating. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7348/piping-gel-recipe

KHalstead Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 8:56pm
post #16 of 17

thanks tnt!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 10:00pm
post #17 of 17

A traditional topping to those fancy mirror cakes is a 1/8 inch layer of gelatin. It can be just Jello, if you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%