Coloring Fondant Bright Orange, Help!

Decorating By aDBakes Updated 16 Dec 2009 , 2:04am by Kitagrl

aDBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aDBakes Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:04am
post #1 of 4

I am trying to color 5lbs of Satin Ice White fondant Electric Orange. I am using Americolor and have used almost half the little bottle and my arms are killing me! The color is still not quite where I want it and I can tell the fondant is becoming drier.

What should I do??? Is there an easier way to color fondant? Can I put it in a food processor to mix and distribute the color? I am not strong enough to knead all night. icon_cry.gif

3 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:29am
post #2 of 4

Oh wow that's alot of fondant to color! You will probably have to use the whole bottle.... and the color should not be drying the fondant out but if you are kneading it on powdered sugar or something, that's probably what is doing it. I knead mine on a silicone mat with very little sugar....and/or you can get some gloves and then pick the wad of fondant up and twist it over upon itself until the color is mixed in halfway and then go back to kneading.

Also its easier if you divide the fondant up into two or three lumps, mix the colors into them, and then combine all three lumps for a final kneading.

aDBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aDBakes Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:01am
post #3 of 4

Thanks Kitagirl, I don't feel so bad now. But really how does everyone color that much fondant all the time? You need at least 5lbs to cover a two tiered cake, right?? I'm actually making a purse cake and the directions say color 5lbs of fondant. I will just keep kneading I guess. I just wish there was an easier way to color such a large amount of fondant.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:04am
post #4 of 4

Sometimes I buy the precolored fondant, esp if I need a bright color like red or black, or dark brown (chocolate).

Depends on how large the two tiered cake is to how much fondant it will take....

I did have to color some large amounts the other day and I did have to mix it in in two chunks. Burns some calories, that's for sure, LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%