Creme Brulee Cake-The Burning Part...

Decorating By niccicola Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 11:12pm by ApplegumKitchen

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 7

I'm on a search to find an awesome cake to present to my in-law family for Christmas.

I have this idea of doing a creme brulee cake. A new cupcake shop in town has a creme brulee cupcake and I lost a client with a large order (400+ cupcakes) to this bakery because I couldn't figure out/do that type cupcake (of course, they wanted MY priced cupcakes with THEIR designs...sorry, not a copy machine!!)

So, I really want to know now how to get that burnt sugar look on the top of the cake if I have buttercream/SMBC/IMBC on it.

Anyone?

6 replies
ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 7

Are you sure they are 'torching' the tops?

If you make Swiss Meringue Buttercream with brown sugar you will get an incredible "creme brulee" taste!

I do Creme Brulees in the White china chinese food spoons - have to make sure the custard is really cold - I've found Demererra Sugar to be the best for torching - and the torched toffee will actually hold up for about 3 hours in the fridge.

I think this is something you would need to play with.
Thats how recipe development comes about - somebody has an idea and then cooks and cooks and cooks until they perfect it

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 7

I saw a Creme Brulee Cheese cake recently that sounded yummy. I was thinking two of my favorite desserts combined! I'm not sure how you'd do it with cake though. I can't see a way to torch the sugar on top with out melting the icing. I don't know maybe you can freeze it first?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 7

Are you sure they are torching the sugar on the cupakes and not placing a piece of sugar on after? I think you should go grab a cupcake and dissect it.

I think the only way to do this is to sprinkle very lightly with sugar and hold the torch as far away as possible. You would be better off with an industrial torch too rather than one of the little flimsy kitchen ones... they brulee much faster. icon_smile.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 7

I took my son in there to check out what they are doing and it's definitely carmelized sugar. The icing is not twirled on, it's more spread on, more flat looking.

And the icing look extremeley smooth, almost like it would melt off but it's a great consistency.

Eh, hate to say it, but I like them. icon_smile.gif i can see why everyone is gaga over this new shoppe.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 7

Stupid question, but could it be buttercream underneath fondant that softened during the torching process? I'd like to see a photograph of it...but I"m not sure if you'd get into trouble!

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 7

This looks like it is 'do-able' ..... cupcake cored and filled with custard and then torched.

http://iheartcuppycakes.com/2008/07/19/creme-brulee-cupcakes/

At least it is something to start with - you can develop your own style

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%