Cake Decorating Birthday Parties? Any Ideas?

Business By luvscakes Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 4:07pm by DecorateMe

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 1:08am
post #1 of 9

Hi!

I have been approached a bunch lately about doing parties for little kids.

Does anyone do these?

If so- price?

What do you think the logistical parts of this would be? (How big of cakes each person gets to decorate- 6"?)

ANY help or thoughts is DEEPLY appreciated!

8 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 9

I would say have them make and bring the cakes themselves, along with frosting. Give them a list of things to buy as well.
Probably charge $15 per kid for a couple of hours. Hope this helps.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 9

I have mine costed out at around $300 - all inclusive. Add on's include the party favor bags and pizza.

CakeMom75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom75 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:40am
post #4 of 9

I was asked to do this last month. I charged $10 per child with a $100 minimum. That was just for my time (about 60 min), icing, tips, bags and instruction. The party hostess provided large cookies for each child to decorate. It was a lot of fun - I went to the home where the party was being held, so the only clean-up for me was the tips/bags.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:55am
post #5 of 9

Sounds fun! I would supply the cake & frosting rather than having them bring their own. The size cake you would want I think would vary with the age of the children. For older kids, I would have them decorate one fat 6" layer....but younger kids I would lean toward a few cupcakes per child or a big cookie or two.

It would be fun to let each child have some marshamallow fondant or candy clay to play with too! I would say $10-$15 per child and then set your minimum number you would be willing to do.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:29pm
post #6 of 9

I thought of this idea too. In the Uk, people usually charge about £12 per child. I heard that you also have to have a license if you are to bake the cakes yourself. You could always buy them ready made. Does anyone know about insurance? what if a child gets poked with a tool?

DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 9

I do cake parties and cupcake parties. I supply everything. At the cake parties, each person gets a 6" round, and for the cupcake parties they each get 2 cupcakes.

It's a lot of fun!

I charge 500NIS (+/-$125) for up to 20 kids for the cupcakes & it's an hour long, and 700NIS (+/- $175) for 2 hours and up to 10 ppl. The conversions to dollars is misleading as things are priced differently here.

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much guys!
I have 4 kiddos (3 girls) and have always thought this would be fun, so I have been pondering it for sometime. People asking me all the time makes me think it would be worth it!

This helps give me ideas.

For those of you who have done this- do you teach techniques like icing, rolling/cutting fondant?

Also do you think I would need to invest in rolling pins for each child if I decide to include fondant?

Thanks again!!

DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 9

For the cake decorating I teach how to fill and ice in buttercream, and then how to roll and cut out fondant decorations and pipe a buttercream border (really simple one).

For the cupcakes I show how to make a ribbon rose and bow in fondant. I also demonstrate cute things with buttercream.

Each person gets a rolling pin and for the cake decorating, a spatula, as well as a filled piping bag.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%