Brochures

Business By PinkLisa Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 2:43am by PinkLisa

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:18am
post #1 of 20

I want to get some brochures made. I found Vistaprint very difficult to work with for brochures. Any other ideas?

19 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:19am
post #2 of 20

overnightprints.com

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 20

You could always go to your local OfficeMax (or something similar). It would probably more expensive, but they do all the work.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 20

Can you make it yourself using MS Word then go to Kinko's??

PinkLisa Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 20

Thanks everyone. Texassugar -- that's the sort of thing I was looking for. I'm proficient on the computer and would prefer to do it myself but want some control and not be too constrained by a template. Vistaprint was just too difficult to work with in my opinion.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 20

I wanted my brochures to be very professional looking so I knew it was more than what I was able to do.

I used excel to come up with my basic layout for the inside and knew I wanted to some pictures. We dummied up a basic brochure and my hubby to it to a printers. What was so cool was that the guy said that his graphic designers would think it was boring and could they play with it. We said absolutely and I was completely blown away by what they came up with.

they sent us .pdf of the design and asked for any changes. We tweaked just a couple of things and they are awesome! In fact, most of my orders right now are coming from people that have gotten my brochures.

IMO, if you want to get a professional brochure, let a professional do it. We paid a little more but I get tons of compliments on my brochures.

We are making a few minor changes and getting ready for another run of them. I will say that my brochure does rock! thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 20

I've done a simple tri-fold thing in Word for my classes at Michaels. I just did landscape and broke the page into three columns. You can easily do a front and back deal on it and make it look nice. icon_smile.gif

CakeForte Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 20

With vistaprint, you have to upload the document in either a PDF or other compatible file (whatever they have listed). It's actually very easy. (Although I AM biased as my grad degree is in computer nerdology)

You just select "upload your own file" or whatever the verbage is.
Also, I did mine in Word and saved it as PDF.

You will *most definitely* pay a premium by going to fedex kinkos. Items I priced were about 60% higher. I don't think so!

PinkLisa Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 12:14am
post #9 of 20

I'm just wondering if a professional designer would be able to make something that looks more professional. I had a company offer to do the design for me for $40. Then I would send it to Vistaprint to get printed. I'm thinking of taking that route. The templates are just too restrictive.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:27am
post #10 of 20

Microsoft Publisher. My tried and true way of making brochures. they can give you a template you can work from or you can start from scratch and it's so simple to use. No one else could make one better in my opinion icon_biggrin.gif

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

I'm just wondering if a professional designer would be able to make something that looks more professional. I had a company offer to do the design for me for $40. Then I would send it to Vistaprint to get printed. I'm thinking of taking that route. The templates are just too restrictive.

I did that with my business cards and it was perfect. I just let the designer know I would printing them through Vistaprint so that the final product would match their criteria.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I've done a simple tri-fold thing in Word for my classes at Michaels. I just did landscape and broke the page into three columns. You can easily do a front and back deal on it and make it look nice. icon_smile.gif

Hey TexasSugar,

I did the same thing. I already knew what information I wanted to put in my brochures and the pictures that I wanted to add. They came out great.

CakeForte Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:35am
post #13 of 20

The only thing with publisher is that the file type is not compatible with most anyone. One of the reasons it's discontinued. You would have to convert the file type to make it compatible and get it printed from a print place.

keflyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keflyn Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:58am
post #14 of 20

get a graphic designer, we know what we're doing (well, we should at any rate)

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:29am
post #15 of 20

I agree with the vista print option. I did my entire design in Microsoft Publisher and just uploaded it to vista. its just like uploading your photos here on this site. Very easy!
Just so that you know make sure you upload the finished and final design as it will be printed excatly as its uploaded. I like having it printed throught Vista because it gives a very professional finish plus you will contuine to get the 25 free promo almost every other day thru you email from them. Good luck!

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:49am
post #16 of 20

I, too, did my brochure in Publisher and uploaded it to Vistaprint, because there were aspects of their brochures that I liked and didn't like and since I couldn't change some of their things, I just made up my own. Very nice quality and I was very pleased with the results. I think I saved my publisher document as a jpeg and uploaded it that way without problem. But if you have someone who you trust to do the design for $40 then I think it is well worth the money to not have to work out all of the kinks yourself. Good luck!

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:11am
post #17 of 20

I make all our brochures for our bakery and I use microsoft publisher! Super easy to print with my duplex printing laser printer. I like it because I can add or change anything when needed and can print as many as I would like or ass needed.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:51pm
post #18 of 20

I am trying to create a window display showing a few photo's and my contact info but I cannot download any pics onto MS Publisher, can anyone tell me how do do it?

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:33am
post #19 of 20

to download pics into publisher I click on the clipart icon but pick pictures from file and pull it from my photos. Hope this helps

PinkLisa Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:43am
post #20 of 20

Did you guys get MS Publisher with your computer or did you buy it separately? I checked online and it's very expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%